Join now - be part of our community!

KDL32W674 dropping connection

Pigman58
New

KDL32W674 dropping connection

Hi

I'd appreciate some suggestions from those more technically minded than me!

I've recently bought this TV, one of the attractions being that I can wirelessly connect my (non Sony) laptop to the TV to watch supported video formats (e.g. AVI). The two devices are both on my home network and have "found" each other.

My problem comes however that every 5 minutes or so, the TV drops the connection saying "server not available" or something similar. Refreshing the file on the TV allows me to pick up from where I left off, but this is getting irritating. The router, laptop and TV are in direct sight of each other and less than 10 feet one from the other. Re-booting the router has made no difference, and both the laptop and the TV are switched off after use. I've regularly refreshed the internet content on the TV.

I'm not sure if this TV is available yet in the UK -  I'd recommend it - but hope somebody can point me towards a solution please?

Many thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The problem you are experiencing generally points to a WiFi connection issue. 

Every 5 mins or so, could indicate the power saving settings on your laptop, as some disconnect the Wifi when not active after a certain period - so have a look and see.

If that doesnt resolve your problem, it could be the wifi signal (and i know you said that all is in direct line of sight @ <10ft).  To either confirm or rule out the wifi, the first test you need to perform is by connecting everything up via ethernet cables.  TV to router, Laptop to router. 

If this doesnt resolve your problem, another solution will need to be found.

If this resolves your problem, its wireless , and then the next thing to test is each device.  Meaning, keep the TV wired up, but have your laptop wireless and test, then vice versa.  This may indicate if it is one device or the other, or both.

Hope that helps or points you in the right direction.

Cheers

Nikaniana
Explorer

Hello I have 42W650A and I also have the same droping problems but it drops on the 9-10 min of the playback. I though it was from my laptop so I sent it to the manufacture for repairs. Now I'm waithing to get my laptop back and check if he was root of the problem or not. 

Nikaniana
Explorer

Hello I've got my laptop back with new wireless card and new mother bord, and the connection was still droping. After countless changes of windows 7 and difrent drivers, I found the solution atleast for me I got the new windows 8.1 installed with drivers for win 8 and some for 8.1 and there was no more droping in the connection , I watched 1080p 2h movie as a test, and the conection didnt drop even once. So like I sed the problem was in Windows 7 and its drivers for my laptop or not good compatibility with the TV under windows 7. I hope I help somebody with this information.