Join now - be part of our community!

KDL40V4000 Screen Tear/Smear

profile.country.GB.title
JMW1967
Explorer

KDL40V4000 Screen Tear/Smear

I have no idea how to really describe this - it is the strangest thing.

I was watching Inception on Blu Ray (Sony player) on my Sony TV listed above and I noticed that in certain scenes there is an odd tearing of the image.  It was so odd I actually thought it was part of the movie!

The only way I can describe it is, for example, when there was a scene with Leonardo looking to the side, the bottom half of his face 'tore' and went to the left and the top half tore to the right.  It was as if the image was literally being torn.

I thought this may be a Blu Ray problem, but I swear I saw it again on a face last night on Spooks in HD on BBC.  I have recorded Spooks so will see if I can see it again tonight and possibly take a photo of it.  I am also recording Inception from Sky HD this Friday to see if I can see it from that broadcast.

Does anyone have any idea if this is the panel failing?

Thanks.

Jeff

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.en_GB.title
KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hello JMW1967,

As you said a photo will clarify which picture distortion you got, some reasons may be related to stability of main power at your home , other due to broadcast itself or some few cases hardware problem

Regards,

Bravia55HX

Hi,

its unlikely to be anything to do with power, you mention it happening twice, once on blu ray and once on terrestrial channel, did this happen in exactly the same place?, accept that you saw it twice on a face but perhaps by chance the face was in exactly the same place on both soarces, keep an eye on it for further incidents like this,

it may be time to dig out the extended warranty just in case!

profile.country.GB.title
JMW1967
Explorer

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I managed to grab a video of a scene from Sunday night's Spooks.  If you watch her cheek in shadow below her left eye (when she starts to speak), you will see the shadow doesn't seem to match her head movement.   It's not as bad as it was on Inception, but you can definitely see that the shadow is almost 'out of sync' with the rest of her face when she speaks.

It is much worse on the TV itself - this video seems to correct it a bit!

Message was edited by: JMW1967

KDL-CX520
Visitor

Actually i see many picture distortions in that movie, did you capture the movie by camera or recorded to DVD or convert its format ! i think so

1- there are horizontal shadown lines continuously moves up

2- pixelation over her cheek at the movie begining time 00:00 ~00:007 and repeated from time to time

3- picture blur at movie end (when she start to leave)

picture setting can affect some of the above distortion, such as SHARPNESS, Noise reduction, Dot noise reduction, MPEG noise reduction (depends on setting available on your tv model)

Did you changed any of those setting(s) recently? if so, reset the picture mode to its default values and give it a try , if you are not sure what was the default picture settings, choose factory reset under the menu

This is an intial step before you guess it is TV hardware problem

profile.country.GB.title
JMW1967
Explorer

Hello

Many thanks for your reply.

I did not change any settings recently and only noticed these aberrations very recently.

- Please ignore the horizontal lines running up the screen - these are not present when watching the TV.  These must be from the recording as I used a digital camera to record the screen.

- I have seen pixellation before and am surprised how bad it was on this broadcast (given it was BBC 1 HD).  Here is a picture of my TV, and you can see the concentric 'craters' of distortion/pixellation in between the two characters.  Is this normal?:

I will do a Factory reset tonight and take another look at the same scene.

Thanks again!

IMG_0270.JPG

Bravia55HX

Hi,

have you got motionflow turned on?, turn motionflow to off or low and see if that makes a difference, it could be a number of things but with a factory re set you would have to set all settings up again.

in fact im convinced its a motionflow issue.

Message was edited by: Bravia55HX923

Message was edited by: Bravia55HX923

KDL-CX520
Visitor

You are welcome

Regarding the point of discussion about pixelation, it is a technoloy matter with all LCD TVs (whatever the brand), it is mainly affected by panel design (screen) and its response time ...also, how the tv engine (Video processor) deal with the huge content of digital signals...as example Bravia engine 3 or X-reality new engine are efficient to deal with pixelation (almost cannot seen)

Aside of the above , You may try the Factory reset  located under tv menu, then scan the digital channels again , may be the matter become better

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
JMW1967
Explorer

Hi

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

- I will check Motionflow settings tonight and recheck the same scene on Spooks and report back.

- I am on Sky and not using the built in DVB tuner, so I won't be needing to rescan the digital channels.

If all else fails I will do thge Factory Reset tomorrow and report back.

Thanks again!

profile.country.GB.title
JMW1967
Explorer

Hi All

My model does not have Motionflow, so that was not the issue, unfortunately.

I did a Factory Reset and then played around the with the sharpness settings, Noise Reduction etc, but when I watch that scene in Spooks, it still has that anamoly.

I am recording Inception on Friday night off SkyHD so will try and record a scene from that if it happens.

However, the more I eliminate possible causes the more I think it is an encoding issue.  The reason I think this is so is because whist watching HD video last night (BBC news at 10) as compared to film-based medium that has been transferred to HD video, I didn't see any artifacts or tearing or smearing at all.

I have to remember this is a 2008 TV and obviously the newer ones are vastly better at displaying film based content.

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know!

Many thanks again.