Join now - be part of our community!

KDL40V4000 Screen Tear/Smear

profile.country.GB.title
JMW1967
Explorer

KDL40V4000 Screen Tear/Smear

I have no idea how to really describe this - it is the strangest thing.

I was watching Inception on Blu Ray (Sony player) on my Sony TV listed above and I noticed that in certain scenes there is an odd tearing of the image.  It was so odd I actually thought it was part of the movie!

The only way I can describe it is, for example, when there was a scene with Leonardo looking to the side, the bottom half of his face 'tore' and went to the left and the top half tore to the right.  It was as if the image was literally being torn.

I thought this may be a Blu Ray problem, but I swear I saw it again on a face last night on Spooks in HD on BBC.  I have recorded Spooks so will see if I can see it again tonight and possibly take a photo of it.  I am also recording Inception from Sky HD this Friday to see if I can see it from that broadcast.

Does anyone have any idea if this is the panel failing?

Thanks.

Jeff

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
JMW1967
Explorer

Hi All

Just so this is not an unended thread, here is a little update.

Smear/tear still happens.  I updated the firmware on my Sony Blu Ray player but it made no difference.  It was really bad in a movie called Edge of Darkness.  In the sharply shaded scenes with Ray Winstone his face was almost liquid it was so bad.

Given it only happens on film transfers it must be the set's inability to keep up.  So I am selling it and buying a new KDL-40HX723 as I am tired of poor picture quality!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Jeff

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

its really sad that you would have to resort to selling the tv in order to get a better one!, particularly when not even Sony have picked up on this thread to offer assistance, i would humbly suggest that you purchase your new tv with a 5 year warranty to protect yourself from future misgivings and wish you good luck with your new set.