Join now - be part of our community!

KDL42W653a - Motionflow setting disappeared!

SOLVED
adam_cr

KDL42W653a - Motionflow setting disappeared!

HELP!

I bought myself a KDL42W653a last week and, initially, was very impressed. The first night I popped on a DVD, fiddled with the settings and found one for 'motionflow' which made the display look super fluid. At the same time, I also changed a setting for audio delay (in ms) because the audio became slightly out of sync with the picture.

Since that night, however, both options have disappeared. The image played from the DVD player is now back to 'normal' and absolutely nothing I change can get the 'motionflow' setting back. I've noticed that a number of people on the net have asked why the motionflow setting is not included on this model (despite it being a Motionflow "00hz TV!) but trust me, IT WAS THERE! It made a wonderful difference to the quality of films and now I'm pretty annoyed that it has gone. Has an erroneous system update since the night I plugged in the TV perhaps removed the option?

If anyone could help me I'd be really grateful... including Sony officials. 

148 REPLIES 148
tricky1025
Explorer

I think I read a reply from a Sony rep on here somwhere that said the problem with getting clarity on this issue was that they had to communicate these questions to the TV's designers in Japan. I can only imagine how much of a nightmare this process is given the sheer size and scale of Sony corporation.

I'm not making excuses for them btw. I too would like to get to the bottom of this!

Overall however, I am very impressed with this television. Currently watching Avatar on Blu-Ray and it looks incredible! But it would look SO much better if it was even smoother than it currently is, so I'm all for hasseling Sony a bit in an attempt to activate the Motionflow settings, if that's even technically possible?:smileyconfused:

stealthinde

Well, it is possible, the first post of this thread says it clear: there was a "motion flow setting" and worked like a charm!

There could be maybe technical issues, or who knows, but I bought this TV also for the MotionFlow 200Hz feature, I would have the right to know why it is not there anymore, I guess.

SONY? We are here!
Mikey86uk
Explorer

the funny and annoying this is, there still advertising this with 200Hz motionflow on the W6 product page! 

It seems near impossible to get a straight answer out of Sony! 

tricky1025
Explorer

Did I say I was impressed by this television?

Well, after returning it to Argos due to severe vertical banding while playing PS3 games and watching the BBC iPlayer, and after receiving a replacement that is also faulty due to major horizontal black lines affecting only the left hand side of the television, I would like to change my opinion of this television to a piece of junk!

I am VERY disappointed!!

This television seems to kick ***** if you're lucky enough to find one that doesn't have any major faults.

I've sent an email of complaint to Argos, but should I also complain to Sony?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this one..

**update** I have today received a second replacement from a different Argos store and so far so good. Only very minimal vertical banding which can only be experienced when playing PS3 (and I do mean minimal, as in almost non-existent), and absolutely no horrible horizontal black lines either. Success!! I consider this television worth the disruption and inconvenience I experienced in obtaining it. It's that good!

Matt1882
Explorer

I'd also really like the MotionFlow settings to re appear as I tried watching A Bug's Life on bluray the other day and although it looked amazing, the jerkiness/judder of some panning shots weren't very nice at all!!

stealthinde

Just received a contact mail from Sony about the issue.
For now I have appreciate that, let's see if we could finally get MotionFlow back!
I will keep you updated.
HOB-EX
Explorer

Did this TV really have Motionflow at the start and was then later removed? I have not read any reviews that have metioned any motionflow settings.

Is there any scene options which makes the motion smoother? or are they all the same?.

rik_rgz
Explorer

Keep us updated stealthinde :wink:

stealthinde

@HOB-EX wrote:

Did this TV really have Motionflow at the start and was then later removed? I have not read any reviews that have metioned any motionflow settings.

Is there any scene options which makes the motion smoother? or are they all the same?.

The first post in this thread says so (as many others on the web).

I searched too about reviews on this feature but I have just found stuff post-august (that seems to be the time of this "critical" changing).

Everyone know when this TV was officially available in shops?

ABOUT THE MAIL FROM SONY
I have confirmed the purchase and TV infos, I am waiting to be reached from tech.

profile.country.GB.title
VirgilSollozzo
Explorer

I too have purchased this TV because the ad on Sony Center's webpage said this TV had motionflow 200hz.The price was low (615 euro in my local sony center shop) great specs,motionflow,x reality pro,low lag input and above all that it is a Sony Bravia!! I didn't think a second before purchasing this TV.

Well,after several hours of fiddling with the TV settings i found that this TV did not have motionflow,there is something called led motion mode however turning that on completely ruined the picture quality.Made the screendark and flickery.I honestly can't make sense why that mode is even there.

Anyway,i connected my pc to the TV via HDMI and played Avatar in HD.The picture was great.Colors really popped but picture smoothness was a dissppointment.I mean i wasn't expecting much from the TV but i was sure that 200hz motionflow would make a big difference.

I feel cheated and betrayed.I am a life long Sony consumer and owned many of their products.All PS consoles,Walkman,discman,TVs..

I am very upset.Why did Sony disable motionflow from the settings?why Sony?
Please bring it back or stop advertising your products based on lies