Join now - be part of our community!

KDL42W653a - Motionflow setting disappeared!

SOLVED
adam_cr

KDL42W653a - Motionflow setting disappeared!

HELP!

I bought myself a KDL42W653a last week and, initially, was very impressed. The first night I popped on a DVD, fiddled with the settings and found one for 'motionflow' which made the display look super fluid. At the same time, I also changed a setting for audio delay (in ms) because the audio became slightly out of sync with the picture.

Since that night, however, both options have disappeared. The image played from the DVD player is now back to 'normal' and absolutely nothing I change can get the 'motionflow' setting back. I've noticed that a number of people on the net have asked why the motionflow setting is not included on this model (despite it being a Motionflow "00hz TV!) but trust me, IT WAS THERE! It made a wonderful difference to the quality of films and now I'm pretty annoyed that it has gone. Has an erroneous system update since the night I plugged in the TV perhaps removed the option?

If anyone could help me I'd be really grateful... including Sony officials. 

148 REPLIES 148
Bestle
Explorer

I just purchased this TV in the UK but cannot find the motionflow options anywhere.

The listing on Amazon specifially mentions it - Have I been conned?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL42W653-42-inch-WidescreenFreeview-Smart/dp/B00BV6411Q/ref=sr_1_sc_1?...

"Full HD (1080p) Edge LED TV with X-Reality PRO, wireless screen mirroring, and Motionflow XR 200Hz!"

profile.country.GB.title
HHGTTG
Explorer

@Bestle wrote:

I just purchased this TV in the UK but cannot find the motionflow options anywhere.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL42W653-42-inch-WidescreenFreeview-Smart/dp/B00BV6411Q/ref=sr_1_sc_1?...

"Full HD (1080p) Edge LED TV with X-Reality PRO, wireless screen mirroring, and Motionflow XR 200Hz!"

Why not visit the experts at www.avforums.co.uk as I am sure someone there has the answer.

Bestle
Explorer

@HHGTTG wrote:

@Bestle wrote:

Why not visit the experts at www.avforums.co.uk as I am sure someone there has the answer.

I had a quick look over there, but no info on the motionflow setting.

I have been in contact with support via email and they definitely seem to think the motionflow option should be there. As advised I updated my tv to the latest firmware but the option still isn't there.

Will update this thread with any info they give.

Bestle
Explorer

Got a reply from support:

"It depends on the picture content that you are watching, you may not see the effect visually. However, your TV has motion-flow built in and not in all the models the motion flow can be adjusted."

I have a feeling this is total rubbish though.
SKYsony

This is my enquiry to Sony Italy :

Good morning, while waiting for your phone response that I haven't received, today I spent the whole day to inform me as to why the TV KDL-42W653A (SN 7303000, construction date 10/2013 updated to 'last firmware) does not have the "Motionflow" in menu of the TV, because it is simple, the TV does not have the Motionflow 200 Hz as you advertised in all Sony sites, worldwide.
The web is full of forums where customers who complain about this lack of conformity, many have written to Sony in different countries, but no one ever got a satisfactory answer.
Here's a link, for example .........

http://community.sony.it/t5/Televisions/False-Advertising-on-the-W6-Series-DO-NOT-BUY/td-p/1323240

There are also other websites where even tested the TV and saw that the Motionflow does not exist, here's a link for example ......

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl42w653-201308113237.htm

I, unfortunately, I'm tired of taking disappointments, is a life that I'm customer of Sony, 6 TVs ? + those of my mother and my father, so I trust in your honesty and transparency.

At home I have another Sony, bought 1 year ago, the KDL-40EX720 and that's got the Motionflow 200 Hz Motionflow in the menu and when imposed on "fluid" you can see the difference ........ . images are not be jerky and they are super smooth.
This KDL-42W653A' images you can see that are at 50/60 hz and there is no possibility to act on a hypothetical Motionflow 200Hz.

So at this point there are two solutions, even three, I propose you.

1) Inform the Sony / technical department and requested a new firmware that makes possible the enjoyment of that much-publicized Motionflow.
2) You replaced the TV with one that has the features Motionflow 200Hz
3) nothing, give me a generic response, I will go and ask for compensation regarding the item sold from you that does not comply with the technical specifications because the product does not allow to have the vision with Motionflow 200Hz.

I would like to emphasize, I bought this TV mainly because it must have the Motionflow 200Hz.

What do you advise or suggest?

Thank you very much in advance for your interest in my case, and in any case I'm always convinced that the Sony TV are the top in terms of quality, a super your guest.
Best regards.
SKYsony

I let you knows, my friends ......
SKYsony

My friend told me that my EX720 has a panel working at 100 hz with motionflow 200hz and I replay to him .......

You're probably right, you've discovered the reason for this big difference, I thought they were both 50hz, but no.
Among other things, I also have to say that the panel of the EX720 is also better in terms of defining the detail, I think that this panel was created as a joint venture between Sony and Samsung, for example if you look hd channel you can also see the pores of the skin people ......... but the fact remains that, in my opinion,Sony had to leave the chance to see and adjust the Motionflow in kdl-42w653a ......... better that way, in part, we have solved the mystery ......... so the real problem is that kdl-42w653a has a 50hz native panel and motionflow200hz do a very small enhancement in term of images quality ............ ciao.

profile.country.UA.title
viverra

I have two Sony TV SETs with 50Hz matrixes, and both of it's has MotionFlow settings in tehe Menu, and I see differences when MotionFlow in switched to on-state

stealthinde

Ok, news from Sony - not very usefull though, I think we all know this:

----------------------------------------

Recently you had contacted us for support.  I would be grateful if you could confirm if you are still experiencing issues.

Feedback from our technical team was:

The Motionflow is always on and cannot be switched off however, the Motionflow is disabled on this series
when Scene Select is set either to Photo, Game or Graphics mode. For more information about how to change
the scene selection please check the link below:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/13LW600114/EN/c_picscrn_picmode.html

Please let me know if we can be of further assistance.

Kind regards

----------------------------------------

I am gonna reply that we know this, but what we all want is a simple switch.

I will be honest, I don't have a lot of experience with enhanced Hz on TVs, but I think that I should notice when something is running @ 200Hz instead of 50 (even if this is a software elaboration), am I wrong?

SKYsony

Today I've received a phone call from Sony and they finally explain me, in a honestly and kindness manner, that the W653 is a model that has inside the Motionflow 200hz, but without the possibility to adjust it via the tv menu.
They told me that the W653 is a TV of W6 series and my EX720 is similar to W8 series, so it's normal that EX720 seems better in term of image quality ......
They also told me that they are apologize for my disappointment with W653, but the feature of that model explain that motion flow is inside included, but they were very sorry regarding the matter that this feature isn't inside the menu, they will inform Sony (Japan) if, in the future, they could create a new upgrade firmware .....
However, I' m satisfied of this phone call, because they explain everything to me in a very kindness mode and for about 20 minutes.
So, finally, I've decided to move the W653 in the bedroom and I will buy a new W905 for my main room ..... I suggest to everybody who need a Tv with Motionflow active in the menu, and who claim the top in terms of image quality, to buy a higher quality model, like W8 or W9 series, but always Sony, because is the best .........
Hallo my friends, I wish you Happy new Year !!
ps However W653 is a good item .....