Join now - be part of our community!

Link TV KDL-40W5810 to the Internet

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
geof.ashton
New

Link TV KDL-40W5810 to the Internet

Hi, newbie here...

I have a Sony KDL-40W5810 TV and a Sony RDR-HXD 1095 DVD Recorder - What is the best/easiest way to connect this arrangement to the Internet?

I would like to access things like BBC iPlayer. [My PC, in another room of course, has a wireless router]

Thanks very much for your interest and help

Geof

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Google TV would work fine, dont know too much about Roku though.  Or even one of Sony's Smart Bluray players would do the trick too and you get a bluray player in the mix :slight_smile:

But unfortunately, unless you can connect your PC directly to the TV (via HDMI+audio or VGA+audio) it is not possible to "stream" iPlayer to your TV on currect setup.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

As you might be aware, your TV does not support BBC iPlayer natively.  If you connect a network cable from the TV to your ISP's router, you will be able to use the Applicast features or stream via DLNA from your PC, using software such as Homestream.

In regards to BBC iPlayer, the only what you will be able to do that is by connecting your PC to the TV, using a connections such as HDMI or using a VGA cable.  If you are not familiar with technology and PC settings, I would advise asking someone you know to assist in setting this up.  Its not the easiest in regards to getting audio to work from the PC to the TV. 

Hope that helps.

profile.country.GB.title
geof.ashton
New

Hi Quinnicus, thanks for your swift reply

Unfortunately it is not physically practical to connect my TV to my PC's wireless router by cable; I was hoping to do it wirelessly. Is this possible?

I have seen things like a ROKU box or Google TV - Are these kind of add-on solutions possible with my configuration?

Cheers,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Google TV would work fine, dont know too much about Roku though.  Or even one of Sony's Smart Bluray players would do the trick too and you get a bluray player in the mix :slight_smile:

But unfortunately, unless you can connect your PC directly to the TV (via HDMI+audio or VGA+audio) it is not possible to "stream" iPlayer to your TV on currect setup.