Join now - be part of our community!

Media Player keeps crashing and keeps locking files

profile.country.GB.title
MattyWhythe
Explorer

Media Player keeps crashing and keeps locking files

I have a 2015 KDL-40W605B and have always found the Media Player unreliable.

Always crashing and saying MEDIA PLAYER HAS STOPPED WORKING !!!!

Over the years I have built up a library of films, TV shows and season boxsets that are stored on a external drives and have gone from 500gb now I am using a 12TB WD MyBook, ranging from .avi. MP4, .MVK, M4V.....

Over the years, media player has been bloody fussy about the size of the files, the format, the encoding, won't play subtile files unless they are .SRT, since I now have a bigger drive, the player is even worse.

Takes ages for the files to load up into thumbnails, only able to play 20 minutes of a 2 hour film before it crashes, constant loading progress bar all the time.

I cannot believe how crap Android and Media Player is so unstable.

Has anyone else had problems with the Media Player?, any solutions will be apprecieted.
One more thing.... since last year, I have noticed red burn marks in the screen that is spreading, any idea how this can be resolved.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Matty, 

Welcome to the community.

There's a troubleshooting page for your TV here that may help you find out what's causing these issues.

Best wishes,

EdwinaU

profile.country.GB.title
MattyWhythe
Explorer

Thank you for this.

Not much info there for my problem.

I may consider dumping the TV and buying a Samsung as the Tv I had before was a Samsung and played format and was speedy to load.

Alternatively, may get a refurb Mac Mini and use that as a server and plug in the USB 3 drive using VLC player.

Regards

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @MattyWhythe,

simply set up KODI on your TV and you should be good to go.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
MattyWhythe
Explorer

Hello

Thanks for replying.

I have no option to installing Kodi, settings menu will not allow me to add any apps like Google Play or Kodi.

Regards

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @MattyWhythe,

I just checked and noticed that the TV isn't even an Android TV like you stated in your original post.

No wonder you can't install any apps.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
MattyWhythe
Explorer

That is the frustrating thing.

Some have told me that it is, some say the OS is unknown.

I have decided to dump the TV to the tip and buy a Samsung.

Sony are ***** now, used to be great 20 years ago, will NEVER buy Sony again.

Thanks for your help.

Regards