Join now - be part of our community!

Mirroring (via Miracast) on W905a series TVs to Surface Pro Requires WPS PIN

SOLVED

Mirroring (via Miracast) on W905a series TVs to Surface Pro Requires WPS PIN

Hi There,

I have two certified Miracast devices:

Yet, they don't play together. When I attempt "mirroring" connections, my Surface Pro detects the TV fine, but when I try to connect, it asks for a WPS PIN code. I have no idea where I can get this from, the WPA one from the TV doesn't work.

As an FYI, I know the Miracast works on the Pro as I have used it with a Netgear Push2TV 3000 device.

Anyone know how I can get hold of the WPS PIN?

Much Appreciated,

Garron

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I believe, Miracast was built on wifi direct, however they are not cross-compatable with each other, therefore if a device is not certifed as Miracast but is certified as wifi-direct, it still wont work   There are also compatablitity issues with miracast devices as well, but hard to determine which manufacturer is responsible - so the technology is not perfect. 

Thanks again guys for replying,

The bluetooth example was meant to illustrate the act of connecting independant to the general wifi network (not that Miracast uses it) :slight_smile:

As regards Wi-Fi Direct vs Miracast, I understand that you require an Intel chipset for Wi-Fi Direct and Miracast was established to take the basic concept (sans requirement for Intel inside) and use that as the mechanism to allow the h.264 codec to take place.

When it works it is actually rather impressive, I have had it working on a Netgear Push2TV device with my Surface Pro and the freedom it gives you over using a HDMI cable is superb (for photo editing or streaming content via my browser).

Unfortunately I cannot use WiFi Direct as I don't have the Intel wireless chipset inside the Pro (and really, I just want the nice hassle free access that Miracast gives you).

I just wish the Sony and MS folk could in someway collaborate on a solution to what is supposed to be a sodding open standard.

Resolved!

Was a rogue application (one called ReadyNAS remote) that stuffed up Miracast. I did a system refresh and it works fine now.

Thanks both!

Garron

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant.  Im sure this will help others too :slight_smile: