Join now - be part of our community!

Nas server / Bravia / Surround Sound?

aqol45
Explorer

Nas server / Bravia / Surround Sound?

Hi

I have a KDL50W829 wirelessly talking to my WD NAS hard drive.

I have an amp with 5.1 speakers connected via HMDI with PS3/PS4 connected into amp via HMDIs

I am streaming films from NAS drive via media player to TV .... my question, how do I then feed DTS etc sound into amp?  Will the existing HDMI that feeds picture for PS3/PS4, process the sound to the amp?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

When either watching TV, or streaming movies to your TV via your NAS drive, all you have to do is set your TV's Speakers to output sound to "Audio System".  Assuming this is setup correctly.  If this doesnt work, can you reply back with the brand/model of your AMP and i'll have a more detailed look into things.

As your PS3/PS4 is connected to the AMP, you need to change an audio setting on the console. Depending upon your choice

• Bitstream - will output the raw audio to the AMP for decoding
  • Linear PCM - the console will decode the audio and then output it via the AMP

For me personally, for my PS3, I use bitstream - As I want my AV Receiver to do the audio decoding/processing.

Cheers

aqol45
Explorer

So to summarise, I am trying to play MKV's from NAS Hard Drive via media server on my TV then output sound to my amp.

My amp is a Sony HT-DDW800 and is around 8 years old (?) & assume has no ARC facility to play sound back via HDMI

I have a an optical lead connected from TV to Amp & can get sound on some files but I don't think this allows for top end DTS soundtracks.

What are my options apart from a new amp?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Correct, your AMP does not have ARC facilites.  You should be able to get DTS on your AMP though.  You wont be able to get the newer modern higher-res DTS, such as DTS-HDMA.  But DTS5.1 should work via optical. 

The only thing I can think of why some files do not play with audio, is because the audio codec is not supported. 

Cheers