Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix not working

SOLVED
macgers77
New

Netflix not working

I have just purchased a new Sony KDL-46W905A today.  I cannot get the Netflix app to connect.  I click on app and it gives me error NW4-8.  I have been in contact with Netflix and they can't even sort it.  Internet is fine - just can't connect to Netflix servers.  Has anyone any ideas it's driving me nuts

178 REPLIES 178
CeeGeeEss

Just tried one more thing - downloaded Netflix app to my (Moto) smartphone from the Play store, fired it up,worked fine. This is on wireless in my house, same wirelesss as the Sony is connecting to. Surely if my (underpowered and buggy) Moto can connect and run Netflix the problem isn't with the wireless but with the television.

profile.country.GB.title
Filding
Explorer

Oh, and by the way, Sony has not responded to my support log - not even an acknowledgement.

And as for the various "fixes":

Reset to factory settings - done it.
Refresh internet content - done ir.
Check the software version - done it.
Deactivate the device - don't make me laugh! As soon as the Netflix logo comes up I start they key press but it fails before I get the chance to go through all the key presses.
Try a wired connection  - tried it, still failed.

Don't imagine any of the other things will help but I will collect the data in case Sony ever bother to get back to me.

I did it a few times too. It is a joke. No response, no support, no nothing.

Also now I cannot play Netflix via chromecast connected to BRAVIA as I have this some error and "surprisingly" this same chromecast, on this some network using this some phone but old/different telly works fine. 

chris181174

hi peeps right i took my T.V back to currys todays 29.04.2014 and the lad was really helpfull they had a demo tv in the shop and i asked him to put netflix on and he did and it worked so he tested mine in the shop and mine did not work' so he phoned sony for me and they got him to do a few tests on the tv and nothing worked so they said its down to netflix so he rang netflix for me and netflix said sony NO about this problem and are planning on bringing out an update so this will solve the problem. early models of this tv do work but newer models have this problem that is why the one in the shop works fine because it is one of the first models. so there is no fix at the min but there should be one soon......on a good side i was given a new tv and an extra 4 pairs of glasses bring my total to 10 pairs of glasses :slight_smile:

CeeGeeEss

FWIW the retailer I bought the TV from called yesterday to ask if I was happy with it (I've only had it 4 days). They'd not heard of the issue but said they would talk to Sony. Impressive retailer (Richer Sounds) but doubt  they'll get any further than Mr Currys in the post above.

I also contacted Sony by phone as they had still not (and still haven't) responded to my support request. The customer support assistant told me she could fix the problem - she got me to turn off IPv6 as this "usually solves it" - it didn't. I told her all the other things I'd done and she conceded I'd tried all the normal things she'd ask me to try. She said she'd escalate to level 2 support and would get bsack to me in 48 business hours (I wonder if she meant two business days?!).

It will be nice if Sony do issue a patch - it would be nicer in the meantime if they simply responded, acknowledged the problem, and educated their support team,

profile.country.GB.title
Filding
Explorer

she got me to turn off IPv6

I like answers like that. It is like: "I do not have broadband connection on my router, DSL link is down" and then from the phone "What operating system do you have on your laptop?"

Hahahaha

Very helpfull answer.

:smileylaugh::smileylaugh::smileylaugh:

profile.country.GB.title
bw444976

I wonder if/when this is resolved if Sony will send us some compensation
for missing Netflix months (or at least some free accessories - i fancy a
camera 🙂 )
profile.country.GB.title
be11aml

Unboxed my new 46w905, hung on wall - It's beautiful!!!!!!!!!

Fired up Netflix - Error  :cry:

Come on Sony, admit the problem and tell when you will fix

sd9999
Explorer

After going through the usual checks Sony Support requested, I replied with a link to this very forum page saying that it's not just me...  Their helpful response?

Dear Mr XXX

Thank you for your recent reply.

We are sorry to learn that the issue still evident, in an attempt to further assist you seeking your patience to contact back Netflix as we have just recived an update concerning this particular issue for more details please find the below link.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13437

Should you have any further questions or queries please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Yours Sincerely
Shady Waheed
SONY Support

profile.country.GB.title
bw444976

They seem to just be sending people around in circles here and just
searching the netflix help centre. I have tried this and it doesnt work.
There are similar issues on avforums

http://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-w9-netflix-connection-problem.1865958/page-2

Netflix Playback Error NW-4-8 on Vizio devices

If you are experiencing the error code NW-4-8 on your Vizio Blu-ray or TV
while trying to watch Netflix, it usually points to an Internet
connectivity problem that is keeping you from streaming. Follow the
troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issue.

Restart the device

Restart the device by powering it completely off for about 15 seconds, then
power it back on and attempt to stream again. This will cause the existing
network connection to the device to be refreshed once power is restored. If
the previous step was unsuccessful, restarting the device is often enough
to restore your ability to connect to our service.

Be sure that the device is turned completely off, or even unplugged, if
possible -- it's much more effective at refreshing the device's network
connection than putting the device into standby or "sleep" mode.
Check for a firmware
update

For assistance checking for a firmware update, consult the device manual or
contact the manufacturer of your device.

Troubleshoot your Internet Connection

If the steps above haven't helped you resolve the issue, it usually means
there's a slightly deeper problem that's keeping you from streaming.

Our article to help troubleshoot network connection
issues will
help you address any persisting network connectivity problems and help
resolve the issue.

Perform a Factory Reset

You may need to set your device back to its factory settings. If you are
unsure how to perform a factory reset on your device, reach out to the
manufacturer of the device for more assistance.
sd9999
Explorer

I've just replied for the umpteeth time to sony support and I regret that I've finally lost my cool a little...