Join now - be part of our community!

No sound from wmv files made with Windows Live Movie Maker! >:(

Anticodec
Explorer

No sound from wmv files made with Windows Live Movie Maker! >:(

Movies that I made with Windows Movie maker in Windows XP plays perfectly with sound and image. Movies made with Windows Live Movie Maker in Windows 7 plays without sound displaying "Sound format not supported". There is no way to see what the difference is between the two versions. What do I need to do to get the sound to play too?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As a suggestion, download a program called "Media Info" from HERE.  Compare the two files and take particular interest in the Audio Codec used, and use that codec instead when creating a movie.

Cheers

Anticodec
Explorer

Thanks for your quick reply! I did what you suggested and I see the file where the audio work shows to be in a 16 bit WMA format version 2.

The other file where the audio doesn't work shows to be in a 24 bit WMA Pro format.

So how do I fix this? I can't see there is an option in Windows Live Movie Maker to choose format.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

So, the next step is to probably re-encode the problem file.  I have no knowledge on Windows Live Movie Maker or Movie Maker (in XP).  Suggestion is to use a program called Handbrake (again open-source).

This program will output the file as either MP4 or MKV.  For compatibility use MP4.  You will also need to goto the audio section.  Suggest trying MP3, or AAC audio codecs.

To be honest, a lot of this can be trial and error and a steep learning curve :slight_smile:

Good Luck

Anticodec
Explorer

I couldn't get Handbrake to work. When I launched it it just displayed a white window. Any other suggestion? Tried to look for codec packs but it's a jungle. Nothing on Microsoft that I could find.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

What version of windows are you using.  Im using Win7.  Handbrake works perfectly.  I have also tested a WMV file using handbrake, and converted the WMV file to MP4, using the AAC audio codec (and again, using MP3) both times successful.

If you still cannot get it to work, try searching this site http://forum.videohelp.com/  It has some excellent resources.

Cheers

Edit:

From This:

General
Complete name                 : C:\Downloads\Wildlife.wmv
Format                               : Windows Media

Video
Format                               : VC-1
Format profile                    : Advanced@L3
Codec ID                           : WVC1

Audio
Format                               : WMA
Format version                  : Version 2

To This:

General
Complete name                 : C:\Downloads\Wildlife-1.mp4
Format                               : MPEG-4

Video
Format                               : AVC
Format/Info                        : Advanced Video Codec

Audio
Format                               : AAC
Format/Info                        : Advanced Audio Codec

Or Even This:

General
Complete name                 : C:\Downloads\Wildlife-2.mp4
Format                               : MPEG-4

Video
Format                               : AVC
Format/Info                        : Advanced Video Codec

Audio
Format                               : MPEG Audio
Format version                   : Version 1
Format profile                     : Layer 3

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

It's also possible to install Movie maker vers 2.6 (old xp version) on your win7 beside the windows live movie maker. It should be possible to locate a download somewhere.:smileyhappy:

There are also plenty of other decent video conversions tools than handbrake.:smileybeat_up:

Anticodec
Explorer

I found MediaCoder to work for me, but it has too many useless settings to confuse the user with and it behaves like spyware with internet nagging and RSS feed.

I only found one good setting.

Video tab: Auto Bitrate, Bitrate Ratio 100%, Format H. 264.

Container tab: MP4

Picture tab: Resize: Original, Frame Rate: Original. Deblocking:

Horizontal & Vertical

The rest set to defaults.

Hope this helps somebody. Stay disconnected from the internet while using it just in case. :-]