Join now - be part of our community!

PC to KDL-32EX401 Audio Problem

Waddaboo
Explorer

PC to KDL-32EX401 Audio Problem

I have connected my PC to my TV via a DVI to HDMI and coaxial cable, however, no audio comes through the TV. The soundcard/cable is not at fault as audio comes through other speakers fine. I have also changed the "PC Audio Input" setting on my TV to "HDMI 1" (this also means I've connected to the HDMI 1 port on the TV). So, why can't I hear anything when (theoretically) I have the correct setup?

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ensure that the Sound settings on the PC is actually outputting audio via coax/audio out.  Similar (but not exact - as this is for HDMI) to the screenshot below:

Disable HDMI Audio OUT.jpg

Cheers

Waddaboo
Explorer

My current audio playback is set to Realtek HD Audio output already...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Having a dig around the manual, can you ensure that you have connected it up as follows:

PC1.jpg

PC2.jpg

If those two cables are connected to the TV, in those sockets, and you have selected HDMI 1 on the TV source input, there is no reason why it shouldnt work.  If it doesnt, I can only conclude that an audio out setting or connection on your PC that needs modifying.  If your PC has a line-out try using that instead?

Cheers

Waddaboo
Explorer

I have my PC plugged into both of those sockets using the PC's line out on the back panel. Still no audio. Using line out to some speakers works though, so I'm confused why nothing comes through the TV.

I can't use the previously mentioned speakers permanently, as they're not mine. I borrowed them from a friend to test the audio.

I have assumed the TV is at fault, because if the audio successfully comes out of the PC, the TV must be handling it wrong. That's what I think anyway.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm. 

Ok then, going on the theory that the TV is at fault (maybe that audio port), however I have no idea if this would work, but you could try changing methods here.  Using a DVI to Component converter, and connecting everything up to the component sockets at the back of the TV (including audio)

PC3.jpg

Or even a HDMI to DVI + Audio converter box, such as:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-com-HDMI-Video-Converter-Audio/dp/B005G3VQ5E/

Other than that, I have no other suggestions im afraid

Waddaboo
Explorer

I've read around a bit, and there's some agreement that the PC has told the TV that both video and audio are coming through the DVI-HDMI cable. This then means that the TV cuts off the coaxial audio input and instead uses the empty audio stream. So, contradictory to what we agreed earlier, it looks like the PC is at fault for feeding the TV false information. So now the question is: how can I get the PC to tell the TV the DVI-HDMI only contains video?
Anonymous
Not applicable

By disabling the DVI in the Sound/Audio section of the control panel? 

or....

There might be a Audio section in your graphics card software?  Or whatever display adapter you are using?

Baring in mind that some modern graphics cards can output audio via DVI connection, so dont get mixed up between the two when searching around (googling)

Waddaboo
Explorer

I'm using an GeForce 8800 GS
Anonymous
Not applicable

That dont support audio via DVI, GTX200 series does.

Interesting thread for you:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/336758-Disabling-HDMI-audio-output-on-a-nvidia-8800-GTS-How-is-it...