Join now - be part of our community!

TV turns on by itself at download time - Automatic Software Download is off

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
pwebste

TV turns on by itself at download time - Automatic Software Download is off

Sony Bravia KDL-32W653A
Firmware PKG4.101EUA (latest) - same happened with previous version

TV comes on 3 minutes before the configured "Software Download Time" (default is 03:00 but I changed it to 08:00 to prove the fact that the auto-on is related).

Since I turned off automatic software download I would expect the TV to not come on.

I have now just turned of "digital auto service update" to see if that is what is doing it - but there is no timer associated with that.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
pwebste

Solved (work around)

Further testing has shown that the TV does use the hour specified in the automatic software download configuration to perform tasks even if auto software download is turned off (I set it to different times of the day, replugged the power, and watched to see what happened).
Around 3 minutes before the configured time the TV wakes up some parts of the system, in particular the USB port.
I have a device that is powered by the TV USB port that is also connected by HDMI ... and the device can use CEC to receive and issue instructions.

The device (Raspberry Pi) was configured to set itself as the active device when it starts up and also to instruct the screen to turn on .... so I simply disabled those 2 settings in the external device and showed the family how to switch sources on the TV.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

So you have disabled a couple of things, but Ill give a run-down of automatated timers

• On Timer (Instructions : HERE)
  • Digital Auto Services Update (Instructions : HERE)
  • Uploading Operation History (Instructions : HERE)
  • Automatic Software Download (Instructions : HERE)

I dont think there are any others to be honest.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
pwebste

Solved (work around)

Further testing has shown that the TV does use the hour specified in the automatic software download configuration to perform tasks even if auto software download is turned off (I set it to different times of the day, replugged the power, and watched to see what happened).
Around 3 minutes before the configured time the TV wakes up some parts of the system, in particular the USB port.
I have a device that is powered by the TV USB port that is also connected by HDMI ... and the device can use CEC to receive and issue instructions.

The device (Raspberry Pi) was configured to set itself as the active device when it starts up and also to instruct the screen to turn on .... so I simply disabled those 2 settings in the external device and showed the family how to switch sources on the TV.