Join now - be part of our community!

Playing movies from an external hard drive formatted on a Mac

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
tom1234567
Visitor

Playing movies from an external hard drive formatted on a Mac

In an attempt to remove the DVD clutter from my life I have ripped all my DVDs onto a hard drive and purchased a Sony Bravia KDL-40EX603 on the recomendation of the Sony rep who was in the store that day. I have an "Iomega External HD Media" formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I have tried re formatting but then cant put any of the movies back on it as my mac cant open it! Any help solving this would be great to remove the need to have a large cable connecting my Mac to the TV.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.no_NO.title
harddisk33
Visitor

thats not entiarly true. All new 2011 sony tv supports  exFAT file system. so use that insted so you

dont get the 4 Gb file size limit :slight_smile:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Catmambo
Contributor

I think they only recognise FAT32 formatted Hard Drives if plugged in via USB and then depends on what format you have ripped them into. You could just use a DLNA server like Serviio on your MAC and stream them from your Mac/External hard drive?

Thanks

iamtrist
Visitor

I've got the BDV E370 and have been trying to get a drive to work with it. Originally I was formatting as FAT to 150GB on my Mac, this didn't work. Eventually resolved to formatting on XP to 32 GB. I made 4 partitions but only the first is visible.

It could be that your formatting to too large a size, worth a try though.

profile.country.en_BG.title
aisthima
Visitor

Only FAT32 not partitioned HDD drives are supported.

veronicadeol
Visitor

So I guess it would be better to use NTFS instead of FAT 32 here.

profile.country.no_NO.title
harddisk33
Visitor

thats not entiarly true. All new 2011 sony tv supports  exFAT file system. so use that insted so you

dont get the 4 Gb file size limit :slight_smile: