Join now - be part of our community!

Powerline Kits

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
TechnoNovice
Explorer

Powerline Kits

Hi from the TechnoNovice (again) lol

I have been reading a few posts regarding powerline kits and I would like some advice to a couple of questions before I purchase these.

I have recently set up my Bravia TV with the new sony blu-ray player with built in wi-fi (BDP-S390 model) with help from community (thanks again)

I am now able to view internet through my TV but every now and then I get buffering mostly with the likes of youtube, I noticed my MBPS speeds varying from 2.6 down to around 1.4  my current phone line provider states for this area the max possible would be around 5.0MPS. My router box is orange mini live box and is set up in my spare room where i used to have a desktop PC ( I now use a laptop)

so my questions are

1.     would the Powerlines increase my speed if I set one powerline upstairs and one downstairs and would it be a better option to set up my blu-ray player with these rather than by wi-fi instead of having my router moved from the bedroom down to the living room

2. could I use these powerlines to connect my skybox to the internet via ethernet? again using one powerline upstairs and one downstairs

The TechnoNovice :wink:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Melpen
Visitor

Hi Technovice,

I use the powerline 85mB connected to 2 x 8 port hubs at each end.

It works perfectly well, so long as you do not plug them into extension leads/sockets as this dramatically reduces the transmission speed.

Also if you wish to stream 1080p then I would suggest using the higher rated 200mB adaptors as the 85mB seems to struggle, but this could be due to the amount of equipment I have plugged in.

Melpen

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Bravia55HX

Hi,

no experience myself with powerline adaptors however i can honestly say thats why your wifi is struggling  the router is too far away to maintain a strong signal, i have heard that these adaptors should solve your problem as you have no plans to move your router.

Melpen
Visitor

Hi Technovice,

I use the powerline 85mB connected to 2 x 8 port hubs at each end.

It works perfectly well, so long as you do not plug them into extension leads/sockets as this dramatically reduces the transmission speed.

Also if you wish to stream 1080p then I would suggest using the higher rated 200mB adaptors as the 85mB seems to struggle, but this could be due to the amount of equipment I have plugged in.

Melpen

profile.country.GB.title
TechnoNovice
Explorer

Hi Bravia

thanks for responding to my post, I have now ordered the network 200mpbs powerline kit - I even found the discount code in another thread PLA25 and saved £25 :slight_smile: hopefully this will solve the issue as moving my router will be a last resort

Thanks again

Techno

profile.country.GB.title
TechnoNovice
Explorer

Hi Melpen

Ive took your advice and ordered the 200mbps powerline kit - found the discount code in another thread PLA25 and saved £25 - thanks for the advice about NOT plugging them into extension lead as its the 1st thing I would have done, will set them up as soon as I receive them and will save me having to move my router downstairs.

Thanks again

Techno

Bravia55HX

a good result and a happy customer :slight_smile: