Join now - be part of our community!

Re-use of USB HDD after use on Sony HX753

sniffypup
New

Re-use of USB HDD after use on Sony HX753

I have a Seagate USB3 expansion HDD  drive and have accessed it successfully on a W7 pc (i.e. I can navigate around the directories and cop files etc).

The drive has now been used on a Sony TV (HX753) in the USB / HDD slot to try the TV pause function. The device was registered on the TV, tried with the pause function and then de-registered successfully (according to the text on the screen).

Connecting the drive to the pc again, the Seagate drive shows up in device manager as correctly installed and working, but is not visible anywhere in Windows Explorer ("My Computer"). It's therefore inaccessible!

Anyone know what causes this and how I can recover the situation, so the drive is usable on the PC?

tia.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

After de-registering the HDD from the TV, you need to delete the partitions off the HDD via windows, then create another one.  Once done, format that newly created partition.  Suggest using a partition manager such as EaseUS (just google it, or other partition managment software)

You might also be able to use Windows instead - (right-click My Computer and choose Manage.  Then goto Disk Manager, make sure you select the correct disk) 

Cheers

sniffypup
New

Thanks for the suggestion, which worked!

It's a pity the documentation didn't provide the explanation. All the recovery was done in control panel, first deleting the partition as you describe.Incidentally, the disk wasn't recognised by EaseUS while in its "Sony state" and EaseUS just "looped" - but thanks for the product suggestion.

Thanks again.