Join now - be part of our community!

Remotely access files on USB device connected to SMPN200

profile.country.en_GB.title
gaps1982
Visitor

Remotely access files on USB device connected to SMPN200

Hi sorry if this has been answered already. I'm looking to buy the Sony SMPN200, as far as I can see it does everything I want but I'm unsure if I can remotely access files stored on a USB device connected to it.

I'd like to be able to plug in a USB HDD to the SMPN200 so it can play my movies/photos on the TV which is clearly says it does but would I also be able to access all data stored on the USB HDD via my laptop whilst it's connected?

Also does anyone know if a PS3 does the same thing and would that be a better option?

2 REPLIES 2
Batfinkk

Hi

Simply, no these devices are not designed to act as file servers which is what you are referring to. You might be able to connect the hard drive to your router or get a NAS or something similar. N200 and PS3 are DLNA receivers not servers meaning they can receive fies but not send them, and this will be the same for most of these kind of devices I think.

hope this is useful

gaps1982
Visitor

Thanks, that's a shame but the SMPN200 is still v tempting, I've looked into it further since my first post and a youtube video suggests putting linux on a ps3 will allow me to do this so maybe that's an option. If not I guess I'll have to go with NAS and a media streamer or just get a router with USB.