Join now - be part of our community!

Requirements on the USB HDD for EX723 series

SOLVED
profile.country.sv_SE.title
staffan_li
Visitor

Requirements on the USB HDD for EX723 series

Hi, have just bought a Bravia 40EX723 and one of the features I am looking forward to is the USB HDD recording. But what requirements are needed for the device to be registered? Does it support USB 3 or only 2? Can it be a USB stick or need it be a USB disk drive? If USB disc drive, can it be standalone, i.e. without separate power supply (USB pwr supply)? Does it need to have a certain amount of MB? etc. In short - is there spec for requirements of the device to be registered as USB HDD?

Message was edited by: staffan_li

Message was edited by: staffan_li

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

the question on specifics for HDD recording has been raised a few times now and Sony are reluctant to give details on what can or cant be used, however to date it is said any USB HDD or flash drive will work as long as its formatted in FAT32,

There was a mention somewhere the Sony recommend the Western Digital my book essentials drive which is a powered HDD.

The thing to remember here is once its married to the tv it will not work on anything else and should you want to remove it from the tv for example to use on your pc you need to go into disc management on the pc and delete the partitions on it and re format it back to NTFS.

with flash drives or memory sticks, well i personally have not used one just for the tv but they will work happily being loaded with films to play on your tv, whether or not you can use it to record from the tv is another matter.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

the question on specifics for HDD recording has been raised a few times now and Sony are reluctant to give details on what can or cant be used, however to date it is said any USB HDD or flash drive will work as long as its formatted in FAT32,

There was a mention somewhere the Sony recommend the Western Digital my book essentials drive which is a powered HDD.

The thing to remember here is once its married to the tv it will not work on anything else and should you want to remove it from the tv for example to use on your pc you need to go into disc management on the pc and delete the partitions on it and re format it back to NTFS.

with flash drives or memory sticks, well i personally have not used one just for the tv but they will work happily being loaded with films to play on your tv, whether or not you can use it to record from the tv is another matter.