Join now - be part of our community!

Rookie Sony TV owner

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
mirrormask
Explorer

Rookie Sony TV owner

Just a couple of comments as the owner of a new Sony TV (KDL-50W705B).

(1) Not having a nice paper manual to read through means that I can only find out what features and options it has if I randomly look at sections of the electronic help pages. I found a manual on the web, but it's the same kind of thing. I normally read a new device's manual from cover to cover to find the things I didn't know that I didn't know.

(2) What on earth are all these apps? What do they do? Where's the guide? Some want me to sign in before they do anything, but I don't know what they do so what do I sign in with and why should I in the first place?

I love the TV, by the way, but I wish it was just a superb monitor without all the indecipherable bloatware. (This wasn't meant to be a rant, by the way). :slight_smile:

Tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Attached to this post is the manual that I have converted for you.  It might help.  You can then easily print off certain sections if you wish.

In regards to the second point about what all those apps are - well, they are not bloatware as you get on a PC, they are just apps that you may or may not want to use.  For me, most of the time I use about 6 apps, the rest I dont bother with, but thats me.  There wont be a guide either.  It would be like google creating one for its "play store".  Simply impossible, but not as big.

Glad you like the TV anyhow.

Cheers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Attached to this post is the manual that I have converted for you.  It might help.  You can then easily print off certain sections if you wish.

In regards to the second point about what all those apps are - well, they are not bloatware as you get on a PC, they are just apps that you may or may not want to use.  For me, most of the time I use about 6 apps, the rest I dont bother with, but thats me.  There wont be a guide either.  It would be like google creating one for its "play store".  Simply impossible, but not as big.

Glad you like the TV anyhow.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormask
Explorer

Fabulous! Many thanks for the readable manual, Quinnicus.

I take your point re the apps. I've now photographed them all with a view to creating a spreadsheet and Googling them all to find out what they are.

By the way, I've attached an external hard drive to enable recording, but the EPG never seems to populate for more than 24-48 hours ahead. Is this normal?

Thanks again.