Join now - be part of our community!

S-Force Front Surround and PRO difference

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

S-Force Front Surround and PRO difference

I am looking at Sound Bars to go with a 40EX503. This is kind of a TV question as I think it would rely on the output from the TV?...

The TV has "S-Force Front Surround - Dolby® Digital Plus" but I notice that the HT-CT260 Sound Bar has S-Force Front Surround PRO. What is the "Pro" here. Would this not work well with the TV as it wont support it?

Would a better option be the HT-CT60 which has just "Virtual Surround"

Im not overly looking for a surround experience but would just like to know the difference between these.  The CT60 doesnt to me seem like a massive improvment on the TV speakers where as the CT260 does.

Thanks

33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Not sure about the PRO difference, but in short the CT260 is better (but it all depends on what you need/want and what your budget allows), see below:

"

The entry-level HT-CT60 will comprise of a 2.1 channel soundbar with 60W of power, a wired subwoofer and virtual surround sound support so you think you've got a bigger system than you actually have.

For those who want a little bit more, there is the HT-CT260. It's a 2.1 channel sound bar but with a much beefier 300W of power. It will come with a wireless subwoofer so you can annoy the neighbours and has Bluetooth so you can quickly connect it to other devices, such as your favourite tablet or phone.

It also differs from the HT-CT60 in that you'll get an LED display on the front of the speaker letting you know what's going on.

"

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/116297-sony-ht-ct60-ht-ct260-soundbar-speakers

http://www.gadgetshake.com/sony-ht-ct60-and-ht-ct260-home-cinema-surround-soundbars/

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

Would there be a way to pass other audio (from an amp) CD Player through this also.  Perhaps passing it through the TV.  If they sound good then replceing the Sony speakers from the 70's that we have would be good!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Both of them do not utilise HDMI, but use Optical IN connection instead, as well as coaxial

If you want other connections, you may want to look into an AV receiver + Speaker package instead.

Im not sure how it would work if connecting a CD player to your TV, then outputting the sound via the sound bar.  I guess it would work - HOWEVER the TV would also have to be switched on and set to the right input mode (not the best way in my opinion)

In regards to sound, your best bet is to go into your nearest Sony Store and listen to them first.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at page 17 of the manual : here

It looks like you can connect something else to the coaxial input (ie CD player/DVD etc)

EDIT: but not ideal for analogue component to digital coaxial - Im unsure on how that works

<sorry, should have looked into it a bit more before posting above, doing multiple things at once>

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

Thanks.  Taking a look now.

The problem is the set up and layout of the house.  There is an Amp with CD and Turn table one one side and wires under the floors going to the speakers.

For years this has been a problem as the TV is on the other side of the room with the chimny between the Amp etc and TV.  There is also no space around the TV to have an AV setup or speakers on both sides of the TV.

Does that make sense?

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

It looks like the new Model (H) has HDMI inputs.  What advantage has this got?

On another note, yesterday I saw this system online new for under £90 and I JUST missed it 😞

It seems like they are limited or out of stock in quite a few places.  Perhaps the newer model as mentioned with the HDMI will be in stores soon for the same price or a new look will come out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@andyodell wrote:

Thanks.  Taking a look now.

The problem is the set up and layout of the house.  There is an Amp with CD and Turn table one one side and wires under the floors going to the speakers.

For years this has been a problem as the TV is on the other side of the room with the chimny between the Amp etc and TV.  There is also no space around the TV to have an AV setup or speakers on both sides of the TV.

Does that make sense?

If you really want to sort this out, rip it all up and re-arrange your lounge room on the principle of : Do it once, Do it right.  If its been annoying you for years, maybe this is the time to sort it out :nauseated_face: 

HDMI, in short, is just another way of connecting things up

EDIT : Without knowing exactly all your equipment and connections, I dont think the soundbar is going to achieve on connecting other equipment other than you TV.

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

Rearrangeing the room would be ideal but there is really only one place that the TV fits and One place that the Amp etc fits.  To try to make things clearer visually.  There is no floor space.  There is an old stone fire place that extends half the height as tabletops on both sides.  One side sits the TV and the other side sits an Amp/CD and Turn table.  So there is no way of putting anything under the TV.  Building shelves up for Amps and then the TV to sit on I think would bring the TV up too high.

One thing we did used to do in the VHS days was we have the VHS over where the Amp now is.  There is some kind of socket in the wall that went to the TV.  This was just I think a old ariel Coaxial out (from the VHS) out from another plate and into the TV. I dont think this has any use at all now.

I think HDMI might be a plus.  I didnt see a reason until now as I was just going to plug everything into the TV and then output it through the optical out.

If you can tell me what would be best (saying I would get the model with HDMI)  I have a:

Virgin Tivo Box - Optical and HDMI out

Sony Blu Ray - Optical, HDMI and Coaxial

Apple TV - HDMI

Wii - Component

Is it best to just do what I orignally planned which is to connect all to TV and have one optical output, or is there an advantage in connecting say the Blu Ray using Coaxial and the Tivo using Optical separately?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally get your point on the lounge room situation :slight_smile:

In my opinion I would go with the CT260H - reasoning:

• I would not choose the CT60 based on the fact that its 15w per speaker + 30w for sub (not too much difference from your TV really (you TV is 2 x 10w)
  • This therefore leaves out the CT60H as well
  • This then leaves CT260 and CT260H - I would choose the CT260H for the fact that it has HDMI IN/OUT, which would connect to your TV quite nicely via HDMI 1 - leaving you another option of a optical connection for another piece of equipment.  But connecting things to the TV, and outputting the sound via the CT260H is good. 
  • The CT260/H also has a wireless subwoofer, which may help in your situation of placing it where it fits (needs power though)
  • I cannot find a manual for the CT260H, however I would imagine that it is compatible with Bravia Sync with Control for HDMI switched on for all compatible devices - giving you a single remote control solution for controling the CT260H via the TV's remote control. (dont quote me on that though)  - This is from your TV's manual : http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/iManuals/egb/3a-1/brsync.html

Hope that helps