Join now - be part of our community!

S-Force Front Surround and PRO difference

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

S-Force Front Surround and PRO difference

I am looking at Sound Bars to go with a 40EX503. This is kind of a TV question as I think it would rely on the output from the TV?...

The TV has "S-Force Front Surround - Dolby® Digital Plus" but I notice that the HT-CT260 Sound Bar has S-Force Front Surround PRO. What is the "Pro" here. Would this not work well with the TV as it wont support it?

Would a better option be the HT-CT60 which has just "Virtual Surround"

Im not overly looking for a surround experience but would just like to know the difference between these.  The CT60 doesnt to me seem like a massive improvment on the TV speakers where as the CT260 does.

Thanks

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

Thanks.  This is good advice.

The front room is tricky.  Its a pain.  Its the reason why we have never got any proper surround fitted.

The only place that I can find the CT260H is through the Sony Website.  Not a bad price with the voucher.

Still kicking myself that I missed the older model for under £90!

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

Dont know how to edit....

Good price with the voucher, but when/if it comes into John Lewis the 2 year cover is always good.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@andyodell wrote:

The front room is tricky.  Its a pain.  Its the reason why we have never got any proper surround fitted.

Bearing in mind that its only simulated surround sound.  I have no idea on how it sounds.  Proper surround requires the rear speakers etc

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

Yeah.  I think for the size room it should be fine.  Anything that is better than the TV speakers will be great.

Do you know or can you explain the returns policy.  Im having a look.  I thought leaglly you had a cooling off period.  Can I take it out the packageing and if I am not happy (wont fit in, dont like the look, anything else) return it in the packaging with no breakages etc and return it for a refund?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no idea of a returns policy etc (never needed to know, and im not a sony rep).

However, if you purchase anything over the internet, you do have a 7 day distance selling regulations (you just pay the postage, if its not faulty)

More info at : http://www.out-law.com/page-430

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

That is a good link.  Thanks.  Have measured it all up and it just might fit... or at least I will make it fit!

One last question.... Can the IR repeater be used for the TiVo Box or is this purley for TV on/off/volume?  I ask as the only place it will seem to fit is in front of the TiVo!

Thanks again

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As far as I believe, the IR repeater is a pass-though, therefore in theory it still should work for whatever is in front of it, as it should be literally repeating the IR pulses detected at the front.  But to be honest, I simply do not know in practice.

Found this interesting video clip on CNet (not the HDMI version) : Here

If you do get it, I'd be interested on how you got on?

Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

Hi

We got this yesterday.  First of all it just fits where we want it.  It has slight cover on top and on each side but not loads, I dont think this will effect the sound too much.

I am still in the process of deciding the best way to set it all up, it seems to work very well and is a big improvment to the TV speakers.  It is quite bassy so I think I will turn that down a little.

The optical cable is a little short as it the power lead for the Sub.  We have a plug behind the sofa so was hoping it would reach and then can place the sub to the side a little.

I have started another thread about a slight hissing coming from it and also set up options here - http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/Hi-fi-Systems/Set-up-options-for-HT-CT260H-and-hissing/m-p/1302750

After this is sorted I would like to know about the "surround" features.  I cant decide weather to turn "effect" off, if this compltly turns of the surrond effect or if turning it on just adds a little more power to it.

I dont like things too forced or overly powerful for the sake of it. (there are 6 effect choices)  I would like the audio to be close to how it is intended but with a surround effect would be nice.  If keeping it off still has the effect from the source (5.1) then I will keep it off.  Not sure if I have said all that clear or not!

If you know much about this let me know.  After watching I film I will update you on how it sounded.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

I replied to part of your question in the other thread.

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

Forgot to mention too that the IR pass through seems to be working ok.  First of all it wasnt but I swapped over the Blu Ray and TiVo that were side by side.  I guess now that both their IR recievers are more central.

Very little problems working this way.  I will only have to pull the bar forward a little to insert the discs and not seeing the Blu Ray display is no biggy for me.  In fact I annoy myself looking at it and knowing how much of the film is left and so knowing when the ending etc is coming!

The TiVo seems to be working fine through it as well.  The control now and again thinks you have pressed something else but that could just be the power in the remote is going.  There should be enough ventilation.  Perhaps a couple of holes could be drilled just to be safe but I dont think the heat from the sound bar will make a huge difference to were it has always been.