Join now - be part of our community!

S-Force Front Surround and PRO difference

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

S-Force Front Surround and PRO difference

I am looking at Sound Bars to go with a 40EX503. This is kind of a TV question as I think it would rely on the output from the TV?...

The TV has "S-Force Front Surround - Dolby® Digital Plus" but I notice that the HT-CT260 Sound Bar has S-Force Front Surround PRO. What is the "Pro" here. Would this not work well with the TV as it wont support it?

Would a better option be the HT-CT60 which has just "Virtual Surround"

Im not overly looking for a surround experience but would just like to know the difference between these.  The CT60 doesnt to me seem like a massive improvment on the TV speakers where as the CT260 does.

Thanks

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

Another update.

The sound bar has been working fine, just been trying to even out the levels and listen to the effect choices for films.  Personally sometimes effect off is better although I think this depends on the input.  Sometimes you have to turn up the volume a lot more when the effect is on.

Anyway, no a problem, just yesterday something seemed to be up, the TV find the sound bar and all is fine for a few seconds until for some reason the TV powers down and then back on again, it then continues to do this in a loop.  I am not sure now weather this is the Sound Bar sending wrong signals to the TV, perhaps the TV is going wrong, or maybe the leads are faulty.  It is just strange that it was working fine up until now.

Today this happened again, although it seemed fine, I watched a DVD and then near the end the TV reset itself.  So it has happened with both the TiVo and the Blu Ray as inputs.

I will try to reconnect everything again, any other ideas?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

At this moment in time, I can only suggest that you check your HDMI connections.  Ensure that you are using at least HDMI 1.3a cables.  If you are using el-cheapo HDMI cables, it might be best to replace them.  There are some really good quality ones on Amazon for an affordable price to. 

Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

True, some might be cheap I think.

I have reconencted everything I had the cable box going directly into the soundbar and also connected it via ARC.  This might have caused a problem.  I guess the extra input on the soundbar is good for a spare but will leave it out for now if its dodgy.

Other thing happening now is the Blu Ray keeps on switching the Sound Bar to Optical, I cant see anything to turn this off.  I will have another look now.

Thanks again for your support

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dumb question - Cable Box???  What cable box?

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

Not Dumb!

Its Virgin Media TiVo.  It is set to Digital Out.

So the HDMI devices connected to the TV are Apple TV (which I still need to test) Virgin Media TiVo and BDPS370 (which for some reason tells the Sound Bar to switch to optical) then I have the Sound Bar connected to the ARC HDMI port on the TV.

Im getting a hiss again but it could just be im too close to the TV!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Phew.  When I heard cable box, I kinda thought of the HDMI multi-switches  :slight_smile: 

Tivo, I would have thought that there would be a setting in regards to outputting audio via HDMI.  But dont own one, so cant say.

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

Multi Switch box, nooo!

There is a PCM or Dolby Digital option on the TiVo.  It says to choose Dolby Digital if you have a audio system that can decode it.

Are not most HDMI cables pretty much the same, at least over short distances.  Im reading that the only thing really could be audio interference.

I just cannot work out why the Blu Ray is telling the Sound Bar to switch to Optical.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HDMI cables.

In theory there should not be much of a difference between cheap or expensive ones, in terms on quality.  Im not advocating spending £100+ for one.  But in defence, I would not advocate a £1 one from a market.  It comes down to shielding and build quality.  No shielding or not enough, will lead to problems in regards to interference.  I have also found that the cheapest ones also give off the most problems in regards to handshaking issues and in general, more problematic.

I dont have any hard facts or anything, just what I have found, when supporting my own/family/friends equipment.

I paid around £12/cable off Amazon, for the Pro Red range and never had a problem.  (Note: Im not advocating for that product either)

Anyway, Ill have a think about your bluray problem, and respond tomorrow.  Gotta go out for dinner now :slight_smile:

Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

Thanks.  I have almost sorted this I think.

I have now used the input of the Sound Bar to plug the Blu Ray in again instead of the TV.  Now when I switch on the Blu Ray it auto switches on the TV and also HDMI comes up on the Sound Bar.  This is good.

The TiVo was always coming up as Optical now!  I realised that you can set the input through the Sound Bar menu properly which is what I have now done.  Perhaps this was the problem before also.

Now when switching the Blu Ray off the TV switches back to the TiVo but the Sound Bar does not.  This isnt a big problem.  I will perhaps next try to go back to having everything plugged into the TV again and setting on the Sound Bar Menu the selected Audio source when the Blu Ray is on and seeing if it stays that way when switching back and forth between the 2.

Going to watch a Blu Ray on it now so will see how it performs.

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

HDMI Cable Advice

----------------------------

I had admittedly got some HDMI cables from cablesuk.co.uk which looking back might have been a mistake.  They have been fine but the website and reviews seem a bit suspect.  I doubt they were ever worth the original price shown and the price they sell them for could perhaps be too much.

I think I will replace some of these and see how it goes.  Maybe the Audio hiss will go.

You mentioned Pro Red Leads from Amazon, I have also seen these also, what is your verdict?  -http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001TYRJWS/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_...

The curved edges on the Pro Red concerns me a little as to if they will be able to fit next to each other on the TV.

Thanks again for all your help.  Its been very helpful