Join now - be part of our community!

Sending pictures from a laptop to Sony Bravia via WiFi

John-Aldo
Explorer

Sending pictures from a laptop to Sony Bravia via WiFi

Hi,

Just got a great new Bravia 42" and have set up the WiFi. 

Now I want to show pictures and videos from my Acer laptop onto the TV. 

I understand I can do this via WiFi, ie through the home router. 

Is this correct?  Because I've followed the instructions in the i-Manual and got nowhere.

Help, please,

John

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Just double-checking if you set up Homestream correctly?  In the Library Tab of Homestream, did you add the folder/folders for where your videos are located?  And did you tick the box for the videos.

I found this on YouTube (even though this person is connecting to a bluray player, its much the same):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACiKgc7yVt8

If you are sure its setup correctly and it still doesnt work, can you tell me what type of files the videos are (as it AVI, MPG, MP4, MKV etc)

Cheers

John-Aldo
Explorer

Hi,

Yes, pretty sure I set up Homestream correctly - the folder is in the library, and the boxes are ticked.

I watched the video you linked, and I'd done everything on there.

Still no videos playing.

They are AVI files.

However, I don't really want to be going through another bit of software.  I just want the TV to do what I bought it to do, and what Sony say it will do - pick up a video that's playing on my laptop and stream it to my Smart TV.

Can somone please give me simple instructions of how to set this up?

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

What version of Windows are you using on your Laptop?

What is the exact model of your new TV?

John-Aldo
Explorer

Vista Home Premium SP2.

Bravia KDL-42W653A.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

This is the low-down:

Using Windows Vista, you WILL need another software application in order to link files stored on your laptop to the TV.  Software such as Homestream.

• If you had a modern laptop running Windows 8.1, you could use a technology called Miracast, this would have enabled you to display whatever is on your laptop screen and "mirror" it to the TV.
  • If you had Windows 7 installed, you could use Windows Media Player 12's "Play-to" feature to send the files on your laptop to the TV.

With Windows Vista, unfortunately your options are very limited.

Now I really dont understand why your AVI files on your laptop are not displaying on the TV.  At this stage, my best guess is the settings in Homestream or your set-up.  As you said pictures are working, therefore the software works. 

As you can probably understand, its rather difficult sometimes to diagnose what the problem is, without actually seeing what the settings are or how you are doing it.

My advice is the following:

• If you know someone that is familiar with computers on a more technical level, see if you can ask them to assist you on setting this up.
  • All else fails, you might be best to call Sony Support : HERE

Cheers

Edit:

Are the files stored on your laptop sorted into some sort of logical order (ie in their own folders)?

I would sort things out like this (for example):

C:\Media

---> Music

---> Pictures

---> Videos

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

Be aware that in case you have a large amount of media files, the first library update can take hours to complete. There is a status tab that will turn green when done.

John-Aldo
Explorer

Ok, I'm getting closer with every passing day that I try to resolve this "just a few clicks and you're connected" problem.

The videos are now listed on the TV, and when selected they play - but the picture is totally pixelated ...

DSC06004.JPG

...so what's the next step please?

John