Join now - be part of our community!

Smart TV / Blu-ray player FAQ

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Smart TV / Blu-ray player FAQ

Hopefully this simple (FAQ) will answer some of the more common questions asked here. I will continue to update moving forwards

What is Sony Entertainment Network?
Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) is a feature on almost all BRAVIAs, Blu-ray players and Blu-ray Home Theatre kits which brings the best of the Internet straight to your television screen. The service simply streams online video content through your existing home broadband connection. This is Sony’s 1st generation ‘IPTV’ service.

How do I connect my TV to the Internet?
There are four different ways
  • Wired connection – simply connect an Ethernet Cable and connect one end to your home router and the other end to your TV or Blu-ray player.
  • Wirelessly - You can purchase the UBWABR100 Wireless Dongle to connect to their existing wireless network. Only the Sony Dongle works with the system. There is no inter-compatibility between CE devices and PC Wi-Fi Dongles.
  • Integrated Wireless - Many of our devices have integrated Wi-Fi so you don't need any additional accessories.
  • Home Plugs or Powerline devices (two different standards, which are incompatible with each other) – Best of both worlds! These offer the bandwidth and stability of a wired connection with the invisibility & neatness of a wireless connection. Homeplugs / Powerline hardware both use your existing home electrical wiring system to send your internet signal from near your router to any point in the house.

Useful video here on how to connect your product - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-xnWGTWXE&list=PL3DC17A2EB20BA103&index=1

What connection speed do I need to access these services?

We recommend around an actual speed of 1.5Mbps – 2Mbps for SD content and 3Mbps for HD content and around 6Mbps for 3D. Obviously, the quicker the connection the better. You can test your actual speed via a PC at http://www.speedtest.net .

I have a broadband package which only allows me to download a certain amount on a monthly basis – how many hours of video can I watch on say a 20GB download cap?

Standard DefinitionHigh DefinitionData Consumed
    14 Hours9 Hours5GB
    28 Hours19 Hours10GB
    56 Hours37 Hours20GB
    112 Hours74 Hours40Gb

1.       Hours indicated will vary and are only intended as a guide

2.       Calculations based on the following bit rates SD = 800Kb/s, HD = 1200Kb/s

3.      Actual bit rates will vary and are determined by the content provider not Sony

4.      We recommend to avoid selecting an internet package that incurs excess download charges when the download limit is reached.

What form of parental controls are available for BRAVIA Internet Video?
    Consumers can put a pin code on the TV to prevent minors accessing the TV. At this time, it’s impossible to hide/delete/pin protect individual services, although it is under investigation for future updates

Where are ITV Player and 4oD?
    We are working extremely hard to bring these to the platform as well!
    What other new services are coming to the platform?
    New services are being announced all the time. Where possible we make them available for all devices.

How long will I have these services for? Will they be there forever?
    Much like other platforms like Freeview and Sky, the channel line-up is subject to change depending on a variety of factors, many outside of Sony’s control.

I bought a 2010 device, will I still be able to get new services when they go live?
    Where possible, we aim to roll out the same services for all Connected TV's and Blu-ray player.

How do new services appear when they go live?

BRAVIA – When services go live, customers will see them appear on their devices within 48 hours (assuming they are connected to the network) automatically, alternatively they can force visibility by refreshing the internet content in the network settings tab.

Blu-ray – A box appears immediately under the Video Tab on the XMB and requests the user refreshes the content to receive new services.

Can I add my own content services to the device?

Unfortunately not at this time, although you can visit sites directly via the integrated web browser on some devices.

Can I install Flash/Silverlight onto my TV/Blu-ray player?

No - Flash is no longer being developed for big screen devices as most content devlopers move towards HTML5 as the new preferred standard.

Do I need a firmware or software update for my device?
    Software and firmware updates are pretty much a standard part of owning a web-enabled device in the 21st century, indeed not only do they fix bugs but also add new features.

BRAVIA – Please visit http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/tv/index.aspx?site=odw_en_GB to check and see if you have the latest version. Please follow the instructions and download updated firmware onto USB or if you have 2011 device, you can force your TV to download it directly.

Blu-ray – Easiest way is to do it is connect the BD player to the web and download it directly. Simply press the Home button, go to settings menu and then up to the top ‘Network Update’ option.  Alternatively visit http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/dvbr/index.aspx?site=odw_en_GB

Can I surf the open Internet on my BRAVIA Internet Device or send an email?

This depends. 2010 TV's do not feature a browser, however many of the 2011 BRAVIA's and some Blu-ray players do. Surfing the web on your TV is a very different experience to surfing on your PC or tablet as text input with a simple IR remote control can be a little bit frustrating beyond typing a few characters. Furthermore, traditional browsers can be quite resource hungry and TV’s (from all manufacturers!) simply don’t have the heavy lifting ability of a modern PC.

Will my 2010 TV or earlier get a browser or Skype update?
    Unfortunately not. The software architecture changed substantially on 2011 devices subsequently enabling these features and its not possible to port them backwards.

Why are some videos available on iPlayer, Five or Youtube on my PC but not available on my BRAVIA Internet Video device?

Content rights are determined by the global rights holder and granted on a device by device basis. So it may well be that the local rights holder (i.e. BBC or Five) doesn’t have the rights to show them on devices other than the PC.

How can I do a factory reset of my device?
    BRAVIA - Home>Settings>System Settings>General Setup>Factory Settings
    Blu-ray - Home>Setup>Resetting>Reset to Factory Default Settings + initialise Personal Information
    5 REPLIES 5
    johndhaslam
    Visitor

Hi, can I connect my web enabled TV via an Ethernet cable to my Blu-Ray player rather than have two seperate connections? The Blu-Ray is Wifi enabled rather than connected via Ethernet and there isn't a connection near by. Thanks

Catmambo
    Contributor

Yes, not sure anyone has enabled Ethernet over HDMI yet on their products. Maybe look at getting a small 4 port switch to give you more sockets behind the tv. The Edimax one is very good..

profile.country.en_IE.title
    dohouch
    New

@johndhaslam: Was onto Sony support about the same thing just now. No help there.:smileysad:

Then got onto Richersounds(my seller).  My issue was better grasped there.:smileyhappy:  Unless someone knows better it may be that Sony has not enabled their HDMI ports to support Ethernet.:smileyshocked:  I favour cable over wireless, and I ain't going to run 2 cables.:smileysilly:

#

NEW INFO

HERE: 

What about new HDMI cables with Ethernet Channel? Surely the chance to use fewer cables is worth paying for?

You would think so – and in the era of 'smart' TV this two-in-one HDMI cable appears awesome in theory – but since not a single manufacturer has made a product compatible with this brand new HDMI standard, it's (so far) completely meaningless.

Message was edited by: dohouch

Message was edited by: dohouch

BRAVIA KDL-32EX723,SONY BDVE280
    mydearcosmo
    Visitor

Why does it called a Smart TV? Just wondering...

John191100
    Explorer

Any idea please what the problems with ITV Player and 4oD are (technical? commercial?) and when they will be resolved? :thinking: