Join now - be part of our community!

SMP-N200 Buffering issues

profile.country.en_GB.title
glsmith17
Visitor

SMP-N200 Buffering issues

I have a Sony SMP-N200 net streamer that is driving me bonkers.  I have fibre broadband.  The N200 often pauses to buffer. This can be in either Lovefilm or Iplayer for example.  If I watch the control bar whilst a movie is playing out, it regularly buffers a little ahead of current play point, with about a 20mbps connection.

During a programme, this can drop to 0mbps, causing a few minutes pause whist it decides to start again.

I have ruled out the internet connection as the cause, as Lovefilm (for example) plays back just fine and I get no dropouts with anything else. 

I swapped the box today for the same model, which has the same problem.  I started a movie from lovefilm on my seperate Bravia TV, using a wired connection.  The N200, also wired soon dropped the movie.

I can only assume that there is a problem with the N200?

Software version M10.R.0615

6 REPLIES 6
danny2684
Visitor

hi,

I'm also having issues with the smp-n200.  With both lovefilm and BBC iplayer I can view programs for a few minutes with the unit saying the data rate is 7-8 Mbps but then it will drop to 0.5 Mbps or less and buffer.  Sometimes the rate picks back up but often I have to fast forward a bit so the data rate picks up and then  rewind to the point at which it stopped.

I also own the Sony SVR-HDT500 (Freeview HD+) and have no such issue with the iplayer on this unit so it would seem that it is an issue with the smp-n200.

TCXPilot
Visitor

Hello guys, just curious to know if you've made any headway resolving this problem? I've been suffering the same buffering issues with both iPlayer and LoveFilm on a 40mb fibre connection for the last 2 months but have tried watching a couple of 30 min programmes over the past 2 days and it's been flawless. I'm not sure whether this is a fluke or down to the recent firmware upgrade from 08.08.12 as these are the first things I've watched since updating.

I know there are various trains of thought regarding ISPs, routers etc but I really believe this is or (hopefully) has been a Sony issue since none of my other devices have a problem streaming live tv or films on demand. Do you think the last firmware update has made any difference or are you still suffering from annoying restarts and random buffering? I REALLY hope this can be resolved!

GREGBOULTON
Visitor

Ive also had exactly the same problem.I have the sony SMP-N200 and the only reason I bought it was to watch LOVEFILM INSTANT initially it worked fine but for the last 6mths it plays for approx 10-20mins then buffers. The film starts on 16mbps then goes down to 0.3mbps and then buffers constantly. It drives me mad and if its not sorted quickly I'm going to return it.

I've spoken to talktalk (my ISP) and they've tested my fibre-optic modem and have said it's working properly and have spoken to LOVEFILM who seem to blame talktalk. Just seem to go round in circles-costing me £5.00 a month to LOVEFILM but unable to watch anything.

I have a YOUVIEW box ordered for October via talktalk so hopefully I'll be able to watch it through this and in the mean time will return my Sony back to the store for a refund,

I expected better from Sony as all previous purchases have been top-drawer.

Batfinkk

and in other news, TalkTalk voted worst ISP again.

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/ofcom-complaints-three-talktalk-table-94195

Buffering issues are normally down to the ISP and or Network hardware. If there were problems with Sony or Lovefilm, then everyone would be experiencing the same issue and from the one or two issues listed, this doesn't appear to be the case. I'd switch ISP's personally...

Convergence
Visitor

Hi glsmith17, i would advise you try a couple of tests from your PC

1.  from command prompt so a tracert www.bbc.co.uk this will return ping results from points between you and the BBC server, it may show errors, if you can post the answer here I coul dadvise.

2.  Use the iPlayer diagnosis tool http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics it will do streaming tests, not data and appears to show if there are problems doing streaming.

Sorry to say no matter how fast your connection is, does not mean you get trouble free streaming

Anonymous
Not applicable