Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 46EX723 iPlayer Back Button

Falmericon
Explorer

Sony 46EX723 iPlayer Back Button

Navigating iPlayer on my 46EX723 is very tortuous due to the absence of any kind of back button. There is no back button on screen, and none of the buttons on the remote control act as a back button.

Is there any way of 'going back'?

If not that seems a pretty serious omission.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Doesn't return key work on the remote? Should do.. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The "Return" button on the remote control does not work.  As far as I remember (I dont use iPlayer much at all), it has never worked.  The only way you can navigate is by going back up to the top of the screen to "Home", "TV", "Radio" and "Search"

You might also note, that there is no "Exit" button either, but pressing the blue [HOME] button on the remote works to exit, as well as pressing [Sync Menu] > Scroll down to "Return to TV"

Cheers

Falmericon
Explorer

@Catmambo wrote:

Doesn't return key work on the remote? Should do.. 

No, if it were that simple I wouldn't have asked the question!

Might it potentially be fixable by firmware? If so, is there an official channel for reporting such issues?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

To be honest, I believe this is an issue thats probably out of Sony's hands, and more likely an issue for the BBC (as its an internal application functionality issue).

Cheers

Falmericon
Explorer

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi there

To be honest, I believe this is an issue thats probably out of Sony's hands, and more likely an issue for the BBC (as its an internal application functionality issue).

Cheers

I must admit I've no idea, but presumably there must be some sort of interface to allow iPlayer access to the remote control buttons. Either way, I'd have thought it was the sort of problem that should be reported to Sony in the first instance.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Just tried it on my 2013 and two 2010 models and return button works as the back button on all 3 and takes you back to the previous page. Am I missing something here? My devices are all standard retail builds so nothing unique.

Have you tried the firmware update/factory reset to get everything up to date and reload the software?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Catmambo wrote:

Just tried it on my 2013 and two 2010 models and return button works as the back button on all 3 and takes you back to the previous page. Am I missing something here? My devices are all standard retail builds so nothing unique.

In defence of Falmericon - Are you able to test a 2011 TV?  I have the NX723, and the [Return] button also does not work (FW up-to date)

Edit (More information) :

• Load up iPlayer
  • Got to the top menu, highlight and go into "TV"
  • Press [Return] button on remote control once = Fail
  • Press [Return] button on remote control the second time = WIN
  • Go back into the TV category
  • Select a channel (ie BBC One) and go into it
  • Press [Return] on the remote control once = Fail
  • Repeatedly pressing [Return] on remote control = Fail
  • When you play an iPlayer video > [Return] button = WIN

So basically its internal navigation in the iPlayer Application itself.  Any chance you can test the above ?  There are many scenarios internal to the app where the [Return] button is locked out.  Is this by design?

Falmericon
Explorer

I started off with a 40EX723 which developed a dead pixel and was replaced with a 46EX723. This also developed a dead pixel and was replaced with another of the same model. All three sets exhibited this same problem. If I press 'Return' within iPlayer the only thing that happens is that the green LED on the front of the TV flashes. The 'Return' button works fine as a back button in other apps (e.g. YouTube).

@Catmambo wrote:

Have you tried the firmware update/factory reset to get everything up to date and reload the software?

Since I've had the set(s) I've kept the firmware up-to-date, and must have updated maybe half a dozen times. This has made no difference. I did also once perform a factory reset (in relation to another issue), and again that made no difference to the iPlayer problem.

Falmericon
Explorer

@Quinnicus wrote:

• Load up iPlayer
  • Got to the top menu, highlight and go into "TV"
  • Press [Return] button on remote control once = Fail
  • Press [Return] button on remote control the second time = WIN

Curiously I find that the first press does actually succeed in going back at this point. Delve any deeper into the menu structure though and it's a one way trip, 'Return' no longer does anything.