Join now - be part of our community!

Sony AV Receiver STR-DH820 problem connecting devices

profile.country.en_GB.title
MikeB6859
New

Sony AV Receiver STR-DH820 problem connecting devices

I have hit a problem that I do not understand nor can I work out if I have done something wrong and so calling for advice and guidance.  First of all, the various pieces of kit I have is as follows:

• Sony Bravia TV KDL-46HX803 connected to
  • Sony AV receiver STR-DH820 via a single HDMI cable

To the AV receiver, connected via HDMI cables are the following devices

• Sky HD+ box
  • Sony BDP-S480 Blue Ray player
  • Sony PS3

The speakers connected to the AV receiver are BOSTON 5.1 plus the usual sub woofer

The TV, Sky box, Blue Ray player and PS3 are connected to a router for access to the internet

All has worked well in the recent past, but now only the SKY box seems to be functioning ok with the AV receiver

When I try to use the Blue ray player or the PS3, no image or sound from either unit seems to be accepted and forwarded to the TV.

I have tested all cables, connections etc.  The devices function correctly as I have connected directly to the TV, and all is well

The only thing I can hazard a guess at is that there is a compatibility issue with the devices software.  I have done a factory reset on the TV and the AV receiver, but wonder if the Blue Ray and the PS3 have been updated via the internet

I seem to have got myself into a very confusing mess and need some advice and guidance on what to look at next

Look forward to hearing from you soon

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there.

I can see why you are in a confusing mess. I would be almost pulling my hair out too. Unfortunatley, I cannot provide much more that what you have already done. You have done the troubleshooting stuff.

I can say though, my PS3 does work via the DH820 AV Receiver. I will suggest however, is to basically unplug all devices from the DH820, and plug each one in individually. Also remove any other connections to that device.

What I mean is, Have the TV connected to the DH820 (unplug all devices from the DH820, including sky box), plug in each device like the PS3 on its own first (without internet connections) and test each device on its own. And maybe test on a different HDMI input on the DH820. Kinda like the process called KISS (Keep It Simple Silly). If each device works on its own, gradually connect each device at a time and see if it fails on one particular device.

You can also connect the devices to the TV;s HDMI inputs, and the TV will output the sound via the AV Receiver. I have it that way round for the HDT500 PVR recorder, as it was giving me too may problems via the DH820.

Ive had a look through my settings, but other that speaker settings and naming HDMI inputs, theres very little in the way of configuration on the DH820 itself. If all else fails, I would recommend logging a fault.

Hope that helps.

profile.country.en_GB.title
MikeB6859
New

Many thanks for the guidance.

The problem was eventually tracked down to the HDMI cable from the AV receiver to the TV.  Replaced with a new cable all is fine.

But still do not understand why the sky signal would work, but the blue ray and PS3 would not!!!!

Will just put down to one of lifes unsolved mystery's

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats alright. Glad its working now.