Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia KDL-37S5500 - picture quality (shiny faces, red tinted backgrounds)

SOLVED
leshent
Explorer

Sony Bravia KDL-37S5500 - picture quality (shiny faces, red tinted backgrounds)

Hi

I've had my Bravia since 2009, and I've never once had to alter the settings as the picture has always been perfect.

Recently I have noticed that the picture on normal TV, SKY HD or Blu Rays appears to have a strange glow (especially on people's faces). There also appears to be an odd red tint in the background, which has made it very difficult to watch most programmes.

I have tried altering the picture setting but to no avail. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Lee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I was going to suggest you change the colour temperature of the TV in the picture settings, but then remembered that it happens intermittently, therefore its not a settings issue.  I think your problem is the start of what is called "solarisation".  This is due to a faulty T-Con board most likely - which can be replaced. 

Another possible resolution could be one of the flat cables (LVDS) that connect to the T-Con board could be slightly loose (hence the intermittent problem)

I would advise you to contact an authorised Sony Repair centre in regards to this, for it to be diagnosed properly and fixed.  However, depending what the actually problem is, it may just be uneconomical to repair.

For repair centres, see : HERE

Note: I am not a technician of any kind, so my guess could be off the mark.

Hope this assists

Cheers

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As you have already tried adjusting picture settings, I have a suspicion that this is a hardware issue that probably isnt going to be resolved on these forums. You will need to contact an authorised Sony Repair Centre : HERE

Just to make sure though, are you able to post a photo of the problem?

Cheers

leshent
Explorer

Hello

Thanks very much for your quick response.

I'm at work at the moment, but I'll make sure I post a picture when I get back home.

It might be easier to see the issue as I did find it difficult to describe I have to say!

Thanks again for the quick reply.

leshent
Explorer

Hello again!

Apologies for the delay, been really busy in work these last few days!

I've atached a few images which I hope will better explain the problems I've been having. Can you see what I mean, and do you have any suggestions? Thanks again for your help.DSC_0017[1].JPGDSC_0016[1].JPG

leshent
Explorer

Just to add to my previous message, this doesn't always happen. I watched TV last night without any problems, but I switched it on again today and it was back with a vengance! Thanks again for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I was going to suggest you change the colour temperature of the TV in the picture settings, but then remembered that it happens intermittently, therefore its not a settings issue.  I think your problem is the start of what is called "solarisation".  This is due to a faulty T-Con board most likely - which can be replaced. 

Another possible resolution could be one of the flat cables (LVDS) that connect to the T-Con board could be slightly loose (hence the intermittent problem)

I would advise you to contact an authorised Sony Repair centre in regards to this, for it to be diagnosed properly and fixed.  However, depending what the actually problem is, it may just be uneconomical to repair.

For repair centres, see : HERE

Note: I am not a technician of any kind, so my guess could be off the mark.

Hope this assists

Cheers

leshent
Explorer

Thanks for the advice, I'll contact the engineers to see if it's worth fixing. Would be a shame to ditch it and get a new one but there we go.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

If you could, any chance you can update this thread on what the engineers say (if you proceed that is).  As it may help others with similar symptoms, and also furthers my knowledge too :slight_smile:

Cheers

leshent
Explorer

Hello

Sure no problem, we're all here to help each other!

Will let you know ASAP
leshent
Explorer

Hi

Due to the cost involved I have decided not to go ahead with a repair for this fault.

I have instead decided to buy another TV, so thank you again for your time.