Join now - be part of our community!

iplayer still unstable

profile.country.GB.title
clecky
Explorer

iplayer still unstable

Hi. Please could a Sony person let me know what could be happening? Every 10 secs the iplayer buffers and restarts. I have asked iplayer but I think they will say jts a tv issue. I have Sony KDL 26 ex 320. Many thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

iPlayer is working and stable.  This is probably your internet connection.

Try doing a speedtest and see if you have adequate speed.  Also if you are using wireless, try connecting an ethernet cable to your TV instead?

Also BBC provide an iplayer connection test : HERE

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
clecky
Explorer

Thanks for your reply. Iplayer says it has to be a Sony issue, I agree. I can watch iplayer on the same wireless network on my ipad with with no problems but again this evening, the same programme on iplayer in the Sony is stopping and starting. It is only since February that this has become such a problem. Network speeds in nighttime are around 3-4 Mbps. But as I say , iplayer plays on the ipad but not the Sony . It always did. Help please...
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Worth noting that BBC runs 700+ versions of iPlayer :wink: If it was an issue with the TV, everyone would be experiencing the same problem, and thats not the case. So gut feel is that its something to do with how your network is buffering content with the version of iPlayer thats on the TV. The speeds you mention aren't especially high and so give you very little headroom for error or buffering. is your TV hardwired or wirelessly connected to the network?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
clecky
Explorer

Hi, it's wireless. But so is the ipad. Ad both same distance from router etc. Both have worked fine for last year or so but tv viewing has been nigh on impossible last month or so. If jt was a speed issue surely the ipad would suffer too, this is what is confusing me?
profile.country.GB.title
clecky
Explorer

A question about wired set up. I have a spare router, as I have just replaced Ee one with latest one from that company. Can I just connect TV to this and thus phone socket or will this somehow cause a problem with other router elsewhere generating the wireless LAN? Thanks
Catmambo
Contributor

This is my point - they are both called iPlayer and serve the same content, but that's where the similarities end. They are built on two totally different platforms and so perform differently when on the same connection. I'm trying to think of another real world analogy, but struggling a little, so maybe someone else will be able to.

I'd absolutely recommend connecting via Ethernet or Homeplug. Not necessarily a problem with the current router, as I said I think its your overall speed combined with the way the BBC software operates on the TV and you are just at the tipping point where it occasionally drops out. Maybe just try temporarily moving the TV nearer the router and hardwire it to see how it performs. Also check you have the latest firmware for the TV too.

Thanks 

profile.country.GB.title
clecky
Explorer

Hi. This morning the iplayer works on TV as speed is around 13 Mbps. But could you explain why when speed is lower at peak times, it works in ipad but not the Sony TV and why this has changed over last couple of months? That would be good. I have also posted you a question in thread re wired connection of TV. Many thanks.
profile.country.GB.title
clecky
Explorer

Our posts have crossed! Thanks. But I can't move the TV. Can I connect an older router direct to TV and phone line without it affecting the existing wireless network in house? I checked software on TV and believe it's all updated. Thanks
Catmambo
Contributor

Try something like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

Will effectively give you an Ethernet connection to your TV. II understand what you are trying to do with the router, but pretty sure that won't work. But Homeplugs distribute your Internet connection over your electricity network. You can see the review on these ones are very positive, obviously other ones are available etc etc.. but this should definitely improve the connection and make it much more robust..

hope this helps