Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia Wireless Connection Has Become Unreliable

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
joemoro
Visitor

Sony Bravia Wireless Connection Has Become Unreliable

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40CX520 and it has been working fine for 16 months. I stream films direct from PC to the TV using the official Sony wireless adapter. All of a sudden though, this has stopped working properly. The films that I've already watched countless times (kids movies!) cut out. I receive various messages - cannot access the server, playback not available, device not found. Sometimes the files play for a bit and then cut out, other times they just don't stream at all. There is definitely some sort of connectivity issue, even when the TV says it's connected to my home network.

I've tried streaming the same files using an ethernet cable directly to the TV and they work fine, so I'm scratching my head why the wireless connection is now struggling.

Nothing has changed in the set-up, I don't have any new microwaves, cordless phones etc etc, it has just stopped working. It's almost as if the signal cuts out and the TV goes offline.

Any possible ideas for a solution - it's driving me nuts.

I'm pretty low-tech on my IT knowledge, so pure layman terms would be great if there is any advice out there for me.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi joemoro,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

If any of the suggestions above do not help then perhaps investing in a set of homeplugs may be the best option..:smileywink:

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As you can stream files over ethernet cable fine. This has to be a wireless signal issue. A couple of things you can do.

1 - Move your router closer to your TV (if possible)

2 - Use the break-away cable that came with the wireless adapter and plug that into the TV, and the wireless adapter into the break-away cable. (This is so you can move it slightly away from electronic equipment)

3 - Change the wireless channel on your router. The channel that you are using might be more congested, if others around you also have a wireless router and on that same channel. Simply log into your router and fine the wireless channel settings. Maybe use channel 9 or 11.

Hope that helps.

drhowells
New

Just to add, nothing may have changed in your house, but it is possible one of your neighbours has something new which could be interferring. This is one of the drawbacks of using wireless to access content such as videos.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi joemoro,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

If any of the suggestions above do not help then perhaps investing in a set of homeplugs may be the best option..:smileywink:

joemoro
Visitor

Thanks Quinnicus.

Unfortunately I can't move the router closer to the TV, but I have re-set it, so I hoped that would automatically select a different channel. Still no joy though.

I'll try the break-away cable though to see if that helps and I'll let you know.

Appreciate the advice.

joemoro
Visitor

Hi drhowells,

You may have hit the nail on the head - I have new neighbours! The TV is on the wall adjoining their house, so they're probably the culprit. If that's the case then sounds like my wireless streaming days are over.

Cheers,

Joe.

joemoro
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for the welcome.

I'd not heard of homeplugs before, but having googled them, I'll definitely be investing in some!

Thanks for the tip.

Joe.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

joemoro wrote:

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for the welcome.

I'd not heard of homeplugs before, but having googled them, I'll definitely be investing in some!

Thanks for the tip.

Joe.

You're welcome Joe..:smileyhappy:

drhowells
New

joemoro wrote:

Hi drhowells,

You may have hit the nail on the head - I have new neighbours! The TV is on the wall adjoining their house, so they're probably the culprit. If that's the case then sounds like my wireless streaming days are over.

Cheers,

Joe.

Well, I hope that helps to give a possible explanation for the recent problem you have had. As Thalamus said, Powerline Adapters are a good alternative to wifi. I use them to watch on demand content on my Sony and they work with no problems. Good luck.