Join now - be part of our community!

Sony has become overpriced old technology

matty0001
Explorer

Sony has become overpriced old technology

Ive been looking to upgrade my 4 year old TV HX803 40" to a 50"+ but upon searching through all the TV specs that are about now the technology has not changed over 4 years and yet the prices are just the same, if not more. My HX803 had Dynamic Edge Backlight 4 years ago, this should be standard by now in all Sony TVs but they keep it for top end still. They have 'Frame Dimming' but it dims the entire screen, my HX803 has localised dimming and superb contrast in dark scenes. Has Sony's technology capabilities stagnated and the top end TVs are just repacked 4 year old technology, with a bit of added software for Netfix etc. I paid top prices for these specs 4 years ago and dont expect to continue to pay the same now! Maybe the future is now OLED...

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about things such as :

• Built in Wifi
  • Built in 3D transmitter
  • ARC (Audio Return Channel
  • Better file codec support
  • NFC mirroring integration (Mobile phone integration)
  • A built in web browser
  • USB HDD Recording

to name a few :slight_smile:

matty0001
Explorer

But the features are the same, I have the 3D transmitter plugged in and WiFi Dongle plugged in, by integrating them less materials are used and it should be even cheaper, everything else is a firmware tweak. I'm not saying the new Tvs haven't been polished up a bit better and stuff added most people will never use but why hasn't the picture quality performance been passed down to to lower spec models with a reducion in price. A TV is about picture quality and there is nothing new now than 4 years ago. They have hit a dead end with LCD and dont have anything else to sell that's better, but it just annoys me they have stretched Dynamic Edge lighting out for so long as the top thing, get over it Sony, make it standard and release OLED already... without curving the screen!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I beg to differ on your arguement and say that the average cost of a TV has come down quite significantly.  Look at the KDL-42W653A cost.  Can be had for less than £500, and very good spec according to the price point.

In regards to features - yes they are integrated, and no, quite often it does not decrease the price.  Quite often making something smaller is much harder to do, hence price.

You have dismissed that "everything else is a firmware tweak" - that statement is incorrect.  Ill give you an example: for the TV to playback files correctly, it takes processing power.  TV's have had a boost in processing abilities.  Why do you think Netflix can run on 2012 tv's and above, but not below.  This is the processing ability that enables the DRM decryption. 

You have also poo pooed features "stuff that most people will never use" - again, a very tunnel visioned view point with no factual basis.  Just because you dont use them, doesnt mean others will.  Im pretty sure Sony would have conducted much research in this. 

In regards to picture quality in TV's, the KD-55X9005A:

• 4K Ultra HD resolution utilising the X-Reality Pro engine
  • Triluminos colours
  • Magnetic Fluid speakers
  • Smart phone integration via NFC
  • Local Dimming
  • Motionflow XR 800hz
  • Advance Contrast Enhancer
  • Simulview 3D
  • HDMI 2.0 update

Ill leave it there.  Basically, like always, if you want the latest technology, you have to pay for it.  OLED technology is not realistically here yet, a few years away, and a few more for affordability wise.

Its interesting that your agueing for the pace of technology to be sped up.  Most people that I've talked to, want technology to slow down.

Cheers

matty0001
Explorer

Hi,

I appreciate your detailed reply. Yes the KDL-42W653A ischeap, I have no comment on it's quality. The good technology is not being shared amongst the range to improve the product quality for everyone. The marketing team at Sony are just playing about with specs to try make the top range look good. This tactic is starting to wear a bit thin with regard to localised dimming.

The NFC smart phone link is spread across the whole range this is not restricted to top end, yet this is a new feature yet they deny middle and low range basic features such as localised dimming that have been about for ages.

As for the new processors, even the low spec TVs have Netflix again a new feature for all the range. And we are not talking Intel i7 chips here, the prices are minimal.

As fo motionflow Sony can add as much MHz as they want to motion flow but LCD has physical motion blur built into the technology this is noticable on any fast panning movie, I doubt there is much between 200 and 800 MHz.

Flat panel TVs are also too thin to have any meaningful speaker system, anyone watching movies who cares about sound has a seperate sound system. The sound on my HX803 is fine for quieter viewing.

Yes 4k is a completely new thing and this comes with a new premium, fair enough. A 40" 1080p TV with localised dimming is the same price as what it was 4 years ago... circa £1200 on first release prices. Sony can add new feature all they want but at the end of the day watchig movies on a new TV now with all these features will look the same as my HX803 and they will both have cost the same. The price of a TV that gave the picture quality of the HX803 4 years ago should have reduced by now.. it hasnt, they just filled it with 'features' which is marketing talk to justify spending more.

I wouldnt want to spend any fortune on an  LCD no matter what features they add to it, its not an ideal screen for motion blur.

OLED is the only hopeful solution at the moment if wanting to spend bug bucks and have the best picture. But I ideally would like something between now and then that is reasonably priced. I've always had Sony TVs back when I spent £1300 on the latest 720p 26" LCD in 2004, every upgrade I did since then (32" then 40") there was huge picture benefits and the prices lowered. I know what Im talking about when I say it's stagnated now and very minimal benefits over these last 4 years. Hence old technology overpriced.