Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDL-50W829B problems

profile.country.GB.title
Dhastings
New

Sony KDL-50W829B problems

I bought a Sony KDL-50W829b 50 inch 3D smart tv only 3 years ago (just) and recently I’ve lost the picture (sound and backlight working but a black screen). I took it to my local Sony Centre who told me that the ‘panel’ has gone (broken) and that they are unable to fix it as Sony no longer stock the panels and I might as well bin it!! I spent just under £1000 for the TV on it’s own, then £300 on the Sony 3D blue ray player, £100 on the 3D glasses and  another £300 On the 3D wireless Bluetooth sound bar and speaker to match!! To say I’m unhappy is an understatement! It’s bad enough that with most Sony TVs nowadays you are getting 5 years warranty as standard (my only had a year when bought it) and mine is outside the time but Sony have stopped supplying parts for a TV which is only 3 years old!!! I never thought my TV was useless after only 3 years...it’s a shame as the reason I bought a Sony in the first place was for the quality!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I will escalate this for you and get back to you.

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi DHastings, 

I have some info back for you:

Sony don't replace TV panels when they become faulty, so even TVs that are in warranty get exchanged when panel issues occur. Since the TV is out of warranty, there are no other options that can be offered.

Sony's official statement says: The nature of electrical components does mean it is simply not possible to eliminate all potential faults and we have to concede, to a point, that there will always be a chance of spontaneous failure. In recognition of this, each product is supplied with a Sony European one year guarantee, to protect both the product and our customers from potential failures.

Best wishes, 

Pascale_F