Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDL42W653a Apps Issue

SOLVED
Giles_W
New

Sony KDL42W653a Apps Issue

Hello

I have been trying to access the Sony Entertainment Network "All Applications" list, which only brings up a few applications unless I leave it loading on the page for 5 minutes where it finally comes up with the entire selection. 

Once this has happened, if I try and go on an application such as Netflix, I receive the message "The application is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later". The same happens with other apps such as Sky News etc. 

My internet connection is fine and have tried both wired and wireless. I have reset the internet aswell as doing a factory reset and unplugging the television from the wall for 10 minutes.

Could someone please advise me on what I can do to get this working.

Many Thanks 

187 REPLIES 187

I have also been having the same problem. Bought the KDL42W805A only 3 weeks ago, everything was working fine until about a week ago when the apps suddenly wouldn't load, or there were only a few which appeared. There are odd occasions where they do appear and they work, but this is rare now. The only ones i can open are the Sony Unlimited video and music apps, but when i try to load any of the other ones like iplayer, love film, netflix etc they all say 'temporary unavailable please try later'. My internet connection is fine, i've tried doing a factory reset but still the same problem keeps happening intermittently like others have mentioned. I tried this morning at 8.00am and all the apps appeared and opened no problem. A couple of hours later they disappeared again. Now they are back but i'm getting the temporary unavailable message again. This is extremely frustrating. I was so close to buying a Panasonic tv, but when i saw the Sony next to it i was swayed. Sony to me means great quality and don't get me wrong the picture quality is amazing, but the 'smart' part of this tv is anything but. Sony, you need to sort this problem out quickly or the tv is going back in exchnage for the Panasonic one.

IanFerLav

FINALLY I've been able to register on this forum to say that I've been having this very problem with a KDL42W654A I bought only three weeks ago. Like everyone else on this thread, I have found that since last Monday access to most of the applications (iPlayer, Netflix but not Video Unlimited, Facebook, related search) has become intermittent; I can usually access them in the morning and later in the evening (say from about 9 o'clock onwards) but often not in the afternoon or early evening. At those times, I get the message "Some applications are unavailable because the server is currently unavailable" when I access Sony Entertainment Network. 

In addition, I've also tweeted Sony UK about this and have received the reply, "Hi Ian, we are investigating this issue and will let you know as soon as we have more information for you. Please bear with us." So perhaps something will happen soon. Fingers crossed!

profile.country.GB.title
lecrampton

Well.. All back up and running late last night and this morning but again apps not working this afternoon.

I will keep trying but really annoying, this TV is not living up to expectations at all.

MikeySkiBoy
Explorer

I also do not think this is specific to the KDL42W653A as our KDL-47W805A seems to have exactly the same problem. We do have another couple of older Sony TVs, without the Sony Entertainment Network, and they seem to be fine. This might mean it is a problem with the SEN itself, or SEN equiped TVs, rather than a single model. Failing that, it looks like a provider problem between the SEN TVs and the SEN services.

Our KDL-47W805A has been really slow to load the apps after switching on ever since we got it. Once the apps are there iPlayer seems to be OK, but it regularly has big problems with Demand 5 which renders it unusable. Over the last few days, the apps list is taking even longer to populate than normal and then you get the "unavailable" error when you click on any of them; which I haven't seen before and is exactly as described in this topic. After a long time, about an hour last night, the apps do seem to come to life. No problem with our broadband (Connection is currently over 15Mb) as everything else runs fine on our PCs and tablets and the TV is directly connected to the shared router. Perhaps, once this issue is resolved, the Demand 5 app might start working properly. Then again, maybe not.

goodwinpg
New

I am having the same issue on my Sony KDL42W805A . Have tried EVERYTHING. This is an issue for Sony to sort out. Please sort it out-it's no use having a smart TV that isn't smart.

deaves1

Just got in from work, hoping the probelm had resolved, done factory restore but no still the same no netflix icon. On my apps screen i have 14 icons all of which i never use. Where is netflix, thats the only reason i bought the tv
deaves1

Can people go on twitter sonyuk and highlight the problem negative public complaints should get it resolved, we have all spent a fortune on our tellys !
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@deaves1 wrote:
Can people go on twitter sonyuk and highlight the problem negative public complaints should get it resolved, we have all spent a fortune on our tellys !

Hi deaves1,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

I can understand your frustration & I suspect you have probably read that Sony are aware of the issue that users have reported but I doubt tweeting negative comments on Twitter will make any difference to finding a solution to your problems..

There was a problem posted on this user forum a while back which sony fixed quite quickly hopefully they can do the same with the lastest issue..

Please hang tight I know that Sony are working on the issue and as soon as we here any news we will update this &/or the other threads..

deaves1

Super thanks, i was concerned that we wete talking to ourselves, its 15.31 now here in uk all my apps are now appearing but not loading
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@deaves1 wrote:
Super thanks, i was concerned that we wete talking to ourselves

I can seem like that sometimes I guess, although there may not be a reply to all post's doesn't mean that they are not being read..

@deaves1 wrote:
its 15.31 now here in uk all my apps are now appearing but not loading

Sound encouraging, lets hope a fix is not to far away..

Chances are, as is so often the case, someone one from the community will be the first to report that the issues you are all experiencing is now fixed..