Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDL42W653a Apps Issue

SOLVED
Giles_W
New

Sony KDL42W653a Apps Issue

Hello

I have been trying to access the Sony Entertainment Network "All Applications" list, which only brings up a few applications unless I leave it loading on the page for 5 minutes where it finally comes up with the entire selection. 

Once this has happened, if I try and go on an application such as Netflix, I receive the message "The application is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later". The same happens with other apps such as Sky News etc. 

My internet connection is fine and have tried both wired and wireless. I have reset the internet aswell as doing a factory reset and unplugging the television from the wall for 10 minutes.

Could someone please advise me on what I can do to get this working.

Many Thanks 

187 REPLIES 187
jameswc
Explorer

I had posted it was resolved for me, but really it seems to be intermittent as others have stated. The time taken to sort this is unacceptable and the fact there's been no explanation yet shows extreme incompetence. I plan to return the TV next weekend if it's not resolved by then. Also very unlikely to be tolerant of recurrences that last longer than 3 days.
deaves1

16.42 all apps gone again
woodley1976
Explorer

Same tv - same problem, KDL42W653a, purchased three weeks ago after not having a television for five years. Got it for Netflix and iPlayer. The lack of attention on this issue from Sony is nothing short of amazing. Will be returning tv shortly for something non-Sony.

Experienced:

Location - UK

The apps (e.g. Netlfix, iPlayer) come and go, and rarely work. Problem persistent for last week+. Performing factory resets and ensuring firmware is up to date does not help. Wifi is OK, as can reach Internet via the web browser in the tv.

Expected:

Apps work. 

Steps to reproduce:

Spend £500 on a Sony tv.

Steps to remedy:

A nice single malt to calm the frustration.

desperate_dan
Explorer

I bought a KDL42W653a today and have exactly the same problem. None of the apps appeared to start with. They are now listed but none of them are available.

topgun38
Explorer

I have the same problem not happy at all i was going to buy a samsung at this time i wish i had

mynameisDIM
Explorer

Same problem here for the last five odd days.

Very intermittent use of Netflix, etc - usual message "This application not available at the moment, Please try later" (or words to that effect)

Model: KDL-42W653A

Software version PKG3.610EUA

Hopefully some sort of official fault update/acknowledgement after the weekend?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

In case you have missed the posts, Sony are aware of a fault in regards to the Internet Features on some models (W6, W8, any others?) and are working towards resolving the issue. 

This problem seems rather intermitant, not affecting everyone, and manifesting itself differently. 

To show Sony how widespread this issue is - please click the "me too" button at the end of the first post on this topic.

Cheers

c0d3ine
Explorer

Oh dear - me too. Sony Bravia KDL-32W654 working fine with iPlayer and LoveFilm until two or three days ago, now it just says, "The service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

Tried updating to the latest firmware (PKG3.610EUA doesn't fix it, neither does a factory reset. I know that the internet connection is working because the Sony Entertainment Network works just fine. Except I don't want that, I want iPlayer and LoveFilm!!

Woktolivelife

It makes you wonder just what the extent of this issue is, most initially contacting customer services who have no knowledge of the issue and after getting you to jump through hoops in the hope its your fault refer you but in my case have YET to get back as promised within 48 hrs. those of us who have took the time and registered and posted our frustration I would guess would be in the minority but I have no doubt what may prompt them to take a degree of interest the negative comments in the public domain
Anonymous
Not applicable

Woktolivelife - I agree, Communication is always the key, especially when dealing with issues that become wide-spead.  Its something that Sony can work on (and resolve mind you) especally with callcentre staff (I have also had the jumping of hoops, especially when I have dealt with LoveFilm, and know what its like). 

In my oppinion however - one thing that Sony has going, that no other major TV manufactueer has (as far as I can tell), are these community forums.  Try finding the forums of LG/Samsung/Panasonic etc, cos I cant.  At least these forums can alert Sony of a problem.  Without dealing with script-readers.