Join now - be part of our community!

Sony W829 LED TV Netflix Very Poor Quality

ViperGRM
Explorer

Sony W829 LED TV Netflix Very Poor Quality

Since the latest firmware update I have had two issues with the in-built Netflix app.  First of all, Sony removed the auto-play next episode feature.  This means that obviously I have to manually select the next episode each time.  Of course, this isn't much of a problem if you're watching movies or hour long episodes, but when my kids are warching 5 minute episodes it becomes very irritating, considering the feature was in the last version?  Why oh why has this been removed?

The second issue is a major one.  The quality is absolutely awful at times.  It drops every 10-20 seconds to the min of 240 and then it will go back up to the max of 1080.  Please don't ask me to check my internet connection because I have checked this numerous times and it has nothing to with my internet.  Netflix quality is perfectly fine from every other source in my home.  Netflix was working perfectly fine before the latest update.  I have a couple of questions for Sony....

1) Are you aware of the above issues and can you confirm if they are going to be fixed with the next update?

2) If you cannot confirm if there is a fix pending, how do I revert back to the last firmware before these issues occured?

Note: the exact model of my TV is a Sony Bravia KDL55W829BBU.  Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Auto-Play feature - unfortunately Sony is not resposible for the inner workings of the Netflix Application (or any other app on the TV for that matter) - therefore you will need to register your complaint to Netflix in regards to this one.

Netflix Performance - Is your TV connected to your network via Wifi or an Ethernet cable?  If Wifi, for testing purposes, can you please connect an ethernet cable, and turn off Wifi.  Test Netflix and see how it performs.  Hard to advise further on this one at the moment, as Im not sure how its connected.

Also, I know its a pain in the u know what, but perform a factory reset of the TV.  This can and does cure many problems - especially after a FW update.

Cheers

ViperGRM
Explorer

Thanks for that Quinnicus.  I find it really annoying that a useful feature is removed with an update.  Is there a way I can revert to the last firmware version where everything was working correctly? 

I am already connected via Ethernet and like I said, it has nothing to do with my internet connection.  I also use the Amazon Instant Video app and I have no such problems with quality on that.  It's only the Netflix app.  I know for a fact I'm not the only one with this problem.

I would prefer not to do a factory reset obviously but I suppose it's worth a try.  Thank you.

I can confirm having the same issues with a 50W829. I am also connected via Ethernet on Virgin Broadband 100Mb so it should not be a bandwidth issue. 

Had same issue here, 50mb virgin, all other devises in the house no issues except bravia tv. However when I did a factory reset it appears to have sorted it. No issues for the last 24hrs, fingers crossed..... Turned off auto updates for now until I know its been sorted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ViperGRM  - Are you on Virgin by any chance?

yorkyred
Explorer

Same for me on my 50w829, the picture quality is up and down every few minutes, no problem with the Internet speed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

Equipment:

TV = KD-65X8505 (FW = PKG2.263EUA)

Internet = 38Mbps fibre

Netflix UHD package

Ive just watched 2 episodes of Breaking Bad in UHD 4K (2160p) with NO drops in quality or anything to indicate issues.

Sugguest that if your having problems, do some fault finding.  Such as using a wired connection, test at different times of the day (not just peak periods such as 6-8pm) etc.  Check your ISPs forums in case there is an issue on their network.

Now if its specific model/s of TVs (ie the W829), can you all confirm that you have the latest FW installed, and a factory reset completed.  Also what ISP are you all using, and what speeds to you get?  And any other information that may be handy in trying to find a common cause?

Cheers all.

Since I did a factory reset a few weeks ago I've not had a single issue. Prior to this the quality fluctuated every few minutes. At all times I was using a wired connection.

Sent from Samsung Mobile
yorkyred
Explorer

I'm on a wireless connection which is what I'm stuck with I'm afraid, it got better as the night went on, by 9pm no problem, only one instance this morning. I have the latest firmware but I'm loath to have to do a factory reset. I'm wondering if it's also the fact there are other users using the same line for tablets and online gaming that's slowing down the speed and causing the issues although we do have a fast broadband speed.