Join now - be part of our community!

Sound Problems On HD Channels

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Tottione
Visitor

Sound Problems On HD Channels

I have a Sony 40 inch EX503 TV there seems to be a problem when I switch it over to the HD channels, the sound cuts out and comes back on again in split seconds every now and again. On the normal channels everything is ok, it only does it on the hd channels. I have already put the TV back to factory settings and retuned it but it's still doing it. is there a fault with the TV? the picture is blob on! I have owned the TV for 18 months and for the first 12 months everything was fine, can anyone advise me thanks

28 REPLIES 28
profile.country.en_GB.title
Looten-Duke
Explorer

Hi there,

On the HD Channels:

Signal Quality is 100%

Signal Strength is 54%

On the SD Channels:

Signal Quality is 100%

Signal Strength is 66%

I notice the "Pre LDPC" is fluctuating and when it goes above 9.xx e-3, that's when it tends to "cut out"...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre-LDPC (Low Desity Parity Check) (or Pre-Viterbi) is the amount of errors on the incoming transmission stream.  The TV will then process this using an algorithem. 

Sometimes you may have another part called "Post-LDPC" (or Post Viterbi), which is the amount of errors after processing correction.

It sounds like there is a lot of errors being introduced somewhere along the lines, and cuts out when the TV cannot process it any further.

You could try replacing your aerial lead with a higher quality shielded one, as it may reduce electrical interferrence.  If that doesnt resolve it, you may need to seek professional advice from an aerial technician.

Cheers

Tapdancer
New

Hi Iam unable to get sound on hd channels please helpSONY BRAVIA

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Tapdancer

In order to help you with your problem, more information is required from you.  Such as model of tv, what devices you have connected, and how they are connected (i.e. Soundbar via HDMI) and anything relevant.  

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

I agree with @Anonymous on that one, Freeview can be notorious for the ocassional dropouts. Sometimes it happens with mine if the local Heron has landed on my aerial !! Wind has the same effect (I mean weather not the other kind of wind) :laughing:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
tupney
Explorer

I HAVE A SONY HD 40INCH TV, AND THE SOUND KEEPS CUTTING OUT. I HAVE TO SWITCH OFF AT THW WALL THE TV AND THE VIRGINMEDIA BOX. WHEN IT COMES BACK ON IT TAKES A BIT BEFORE ITS ALL OK. i WAIT IN DREAD FOR THE RANDOM 'SWITCH OFF' CAN ANYONE HELP?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @tupney

You havent mentioned your TVs model number, so its hard to advise you.  Also when the sound cuts out is it when you are using the virginmedia box?  Does this happen when you are watching freeview via the TVs internal tuner?  How is the virginmedia box connected to the TV?  Have you looked at replacing a cable?

Sorry for the 100 questions, but to be able to help more information is required.

Cheers

tupney
Explorer

NOW THE SOUND IS OUT OF SINC WITH WHAT ACTORS ARE SAYING. I THINK THIS ONLT HAPPENS ON HD CHANNEL. I WILL TRY ON 'ORDINARY CHANNELS'. CAN ANYBOY HELP?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tupney - see my post above.