Join now - be part of our community!

.SRT Subtitles question to Sony

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

.SRT Subtitles question to Sony

Hi,

yes its that subject again your keen to avoid!

firstly why is it that Serviio has stated that .srt subtitles is supported (by Serviio) yet Sony are the only ones that dont have the appropiate profile to display it?,

secondly since i have not used Serviio (yet) i can play my media via DLNA using Windows Media Player, now heres the thing, if i play on my computer media player will play subtitles using DirectVobSub no problem, however if i stream using my BDP-S570 although Windows Media Player shows up in XMB when playing through this the subtitles are not there!,

how can we get the appropiate profile for our Sony Hardware to display .SRT

surely something like DirectVobSub which is only 2.10mb big or something similar can be installed via firmware update to solve all this?

we await your thoughts.

42 REPLIES 42
cwc289
Visitor

shame on SONY x10:smileyangry:

Bravia55HX

you know what, its been so long i had forgotten i brought this up and i'll hazard a guess at this point so have Sony!

still no developements on this, Terrible !

profile.country.sv_SE.title
Toad666
Visitor

I just bought an Bravia and it played mp4's like it should but the embedded 3gpp subtitle was ignored as well as the .srt. This is really substandard functionality for a modern smart TV. I do believe all the other major TV manufacturers supports at least .srt subtitles.

Thinking of returning my new TV.

profile.country.el_GR.title
dotfios
Visitor

Sony developers please!:smileyshocked:

No srt support in nowadays!!?:smileyconfused:

The cheapest chinese player supports srt subtitles!:smileywink:

Do something with an update please, I am suprised that I can't watch my favourite tv series with srt external subtitles. I consider you as top technology developers...:smileyshocked:

Bravia55HX

i did a few mp4 movies as well and they play beautifully however even with the .srt in the same folder they still wont play subtitles!, i keep trying to find a solution for most of you but i think the answer lies to Sony to wake up to this problem, as i understand it other manufacturers have no problem playing .srt files.

still believe this can be fixed with firmware updates, hopefully Catmambo who had nearly 6 months to talk to someone about this has an answer by now!

especially since i raised this 12 months ago!

Bravia55HX

one last ditch attempt to wake up the Sony coffers, as everyone knows Homestream is actually Serviio and as i have said before it cannot play subtitles as Sony do not have the appropriate profile to play them so thats why it wont!, the following link shows only the manufacturers that will !!

http://www.serviio.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=33

that means only Samsung, LG and Panasonic devices will play subtitles and not Sony!!.

i rest my case.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

There are a number of ways in which it can be done. Right now its understanding the cost implications of each solution & the existing development roadmap - coupled with changes in standards which may or may not make it easier.

Naturally we are still keen to deliver this, but can't confirm when this will happen because of the above as well as lots of internal organisational change recently.

Hope this clarifies things

Bravia55HX

Catmambo

thank you for your response to this long drawn out issue, however the above gobbledegook clarifies nothing for the average user out there, you mention cost implications yet each and every other manufacturers products seem to be on par with todays needs, Sony are the only ones in the dark ages on this.

people with hearing difficulties have been around for many years and it surprises me that a simple thing like getting subtitles to play with media files dont seem to be important enough to Sony, furthermore Serviio are adamant that it all boils down to the appropriate "profile", to most of us it probably means nothing but to the likes of Sony they know what this is yet it would seem they too idle to impliment it.

i would implore you to take the nessessary steps to look into this further and report back that indeed Sony are taking this matter seriously and that a solution to this is near.

i know this seems pressing when theres a lot going on internally there and i sympathise, but somebody has the answer either here or in Japan, perhaps they should ask the other three manufacturers! :wink:

joelsnet
Visitor

I recently had to buy another TV ,  It was not  SONY ,  It was  LG  ! ! !

Everything is fine ,  Subtitles also , even HEBREW works OK  . . .

Do not think about SONY any more  ! ! !

Joel.

LightMoon
Visitor

Unfortunetly I have to say both of my TV ( KDL-40EX720 ) & Blu-ray Home Theatre Systems ( BDV-E985W )

didn't support Persian ( ANSI - UTF8 - Unicode ) srt subtitles.

if i know that before, definitely didn't buy their stuff,

Really SHAME ON SONY  ! ! !

Message was edited by: LightMoon

Message was edited by: LightMoon

Add Persian language encoding.