Join now - be part of our community!

.SRT Subtitles question to Sony

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

.SRT Subtitles question to Sony

Hi,

yes its that subject again your keen to avoid!

firstly why is it that Serviio has stated that .srt subtitles is supported (by Serviio) yet Sony are the only ones that dont have the appropiate profile to display it?,

secondly since i have not used Serviio (yet) i can play my media via DLNA using Windows Media Player, now heres the thing, if i play on my computer media player will play subtitles using DirectVobSub no problem, however if i stream using my BDP-S570 although Windows Media Player shows up in XMB when playing through this the subtitles are not there!,

how can we get the appropiate profile for our Sony Hardware to display .SRT

surely something like DirectVobSub which is only 2.10mb big or something similar can be installed via firmware update to solve all this?

we await your thoughts.

42 REPLIES 42
Bravia55HX

A bonus in the making for many, will look forward to seeing a lot of happy bunnies !

digilogman
Visitor

Hey Superouhe,

I could also stream subs with PS3 media server but video and audio is choppy. I managed to get it to perform a little better by changing the the 'keyint', 'vqscale' and 'vqmin' values in the transcode settings, but still it chops. I also notice my Mac is pumping alot of CPU power when using PS3 media server. Any suggestions????

Thanks!

digilogman
Visitor

Hey Superouhe,   I could also stream subs with PS3 media server but video and audio is choppy. I managed to get it to perform a little better by changing the the 'keyint', 'vqscale' and 'vqmin' values in the transcode settings, but still it chops. I also notice my Mac is pumping alot of CPU power when using PS3 media server. Any suggestions????  Thanks!   - See more at: https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/thread/138816?start=15&tstart=0#sthash.hnNrZWTz.dpuf

Bravia55HX

i see Serviio has released the 1.2 version, i had a quick look but cannot see anything pertaining to .srt files, anyone else had a look yet?, interesting to note also (to date) that Sony has not picked up on this for their Homestream program

profile.country.fr_FR.title
sletonqu
New

Yes, serviio 1.2 is out and support subtitles for Sony devices !!!

Details here : http://www.serviio.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=33

Download here : http://www.serviio.org/download

Its works flawlessly on my Sony Bravia EX500 (2010 model)

If you want support, post on forum here : http://forum.serviio.org/index.php

Regards

KDL-46EX501, BDP-S373, SMP-N100, Serviio.org
profile.country.nl_NL.title
willB187
New

Sony is still lagging in this. Indeed serviio 1.2 will provide subtitles by a so called "hardsub". This meens that a lot of CPU is used by FFmpeg process to render the subtitle in the video but for a lot of NAS processors this is too much.

So sony please please please make life for us easier and do a little firmware update for your tv's so they support .srt or other subtitle extentions and for the dutch market release the apps "uitzending gemist en rtl gemist". Sony do your best in keeping up with your competition because they are getting better and better.....

Regards,

Willem

profile.country.nl_NL.title
jovanoo2052
Visitor

Any news in this?
Is it better to use Homestream software for streaming to my BDV-EF220? Or should I use Serviio?

And is it now possible to show external subtitles of .srt or other file formats??

Looking forward to an answer, 'cause I've been strugling with this for hours yesterday night.

Please let me know.

Regards,
John (NL)

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Just an update - new version of Homestream is currently in beta and this will support subtitles. Just have to sign the contracts and we should be all set, but don't anticipate any issues. Hopefully we can get it up in the next week or so.

Current version of Serviio supports subtitles.

Only major difference between the two is that Homestream has better compatibilty with Sony products, profiles are tweaked a little to optimise the overall experience, but they are largely the same products.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cat

Its been a while since I used Homestream, but can you tell me if the updated Homestream supports the pluggins to webstreams/online sources (ie .groovy files) that Serviio use?

Cheers.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hmm - just seen an email that Homestream 2 is based off Serviio 1.2.1 which looks like its the current one. I'll check though as historically we took out some of the more complicated elements just to simplifiy it for mass market consumers, but may well just leave these elements in as it may be tricker to customise.

Gut instinct says it will have pluggn support, but I'll check..

cheers