Join now - be part of our community!

streaming media from laptop to TV

Russell34
Explorer

streaming media from laptop to TV

Hi I recently got a 50inch LCD 3D Tele and was wondering is there a way of streaming films to the TV?

My laptop is windows 7 so i'm guessing I cant do it with miracast.

I can stream youtube from my laptop when I pair it with the youtube app in The Sony Entertainment Network.

So surely there must be a way of doing the same with movie files?

Thanks.

Russ

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You can use what is called a DLNA server - Homestream.  See HERE for details.

If you require screen "mirroring" for websites etc, I find a long HDMI cable is best.

Cheers

Russell34
Explorer

Hi I got Homestream working, however it doesnt display all my movies.

It only finds about 10 when I have about a hundred.

Homestream can find all my music and images, but not my movies.

I've added the correct path in the set up too.

What am I doing wrong?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sorry that its taken a while to reply, but have you managed to resolve this in the mean-time?  I was wondering if a simple "refresh" of files might do the trick?

Cheers

ToonPatriot
Explorer

I just use a £3 HDMI cable.
And extend the screen to watch movies on TV and use laptop at same time.

sonyuser6
New

I have just bought a 42 sony bravia W705 smart TV can I mirror it wirelessly to an ACER ASPIRE laptop T4400 processer 4GB memory 320 GB HDD and send computer screen to TV.

Regards

John

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Your TV supports Miracast, if your laptop has Windows 8.1 it should support natively the same protocol so you sholud see it in the list of devices where to send your output (I'm sorry I cannot be more precise since I don't have Win 8). If you have Win7 and your PC has both an Intel  wifi and video card you can check on the intel site if they match the requisite to run Intel WIDI. WIDI is compatible with your TV.