Join now - be part of our community!

TV KDL40ex403 and the sony uwa-br100

Tizerlady
New

TV KDL40ex403 and the sony uwa-br100

Hello

After a weekend of cursing and raised blood pressure I am hoping someone can help me with my sony bravia tv.

We have just, finally, invested in a dongle so that we can use the internet via our TV.

The dongle is connecting to our wireless service and all show okay, but there is no option to use the internet service and when I try to refresh the content it tells me the servers cannot be found.

I have tried many options, including manually updating the software  via USB which didn't work despite me following the instructions step by step, switching tv and router on and off etc etc.

All this time all connections show we are connected to our wireless service but we just don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Any suggestions would be greatfully received, please save my hair from getting greyer!

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

My experience with the UWA-BR100 dongle is that it needs a strong signal for it to work - 3 or more bars if memory serves right.  Can you test using the web browser as a test?

Now, this is something that you will be upset about - but its only fair to plainly inform you.  Your TV model is now bordering on 7 years old.  Unfortunately over the last couple of years, various internet based services have been terminated by the app developers themselves.  Apps such as BBC iPlayer - see HERE or YouTube - see HERE

Unfortunately I do not know which services are left (if any..) - which is the reason why I suggested you testing the dongle using the web browser.

Unfortunately Sony (and other manufacturers) cannot guarrantee the availablilty of these apps.  Quite often its the app developers (i.e. BBC) that make changes on their end, which has the effect of terminating services on 'older' generation TVs.

A good discussion can be found:

https://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/tvs/when-smart-tv-app-support-vanishes-what-next/

Cheers

Tizerlady
New

Thank you so much for your comprehensive response.

I had tested the signal strength amongst various other things so unfortunately this isn't the problem.

I did wonder if perhaps the TV was now well behind the times with the apps etc, but had hoped that I'd get something from using the dongle.

Thanks again for your time.