Join now - be part of our community!

TV won't record to HDD or TV Pause after most recent update

mcgillalan
Explorer

TV won't record to HDD or TV Pause after most recent update

After a software update earlier in the week, my KDL-32EX653 now seems to think the HDD is full. It isn't (and was showing with free space before the update) but I have deleted some recordings and it still says 0.00GB free and won't record or go to TV Pause. It has always displayed the message warning the HDD was almost full (even when empty) but now it says it is totally full and won't record. It does play and delete files OK. I did an HDD Performance Check (in system settings) and it said something like "this HDD may not support all functions". This is the same HDD that has happily been supporting all functions for a year. Any ideas if Sony have changed the type of HDD you have to use or if there is any way of undoing that latest software update?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi “mcgillalan”. Till now, I heard that issue "affects" just only USB memory sticks. Many users complained that even if there was space to rec or even if they formated memory sticks (with the internal TV’s program or Windows), couldn’t rec any more, because the system said that there was no space free (after formating, space free was 0-30Mb instead of 16-32GB). The only solution with these memory sticks, was to format them with programs like “SD formatter”. Now I think, that you have read all notes on KDL-32EX653 Users iManual - Rec like that there’re problems if “More than 1,000 programmes are recorded on the USB HDD device” or on KDL-32EX653 Users iManual - Troubleshooting that with free space near 0MB, TV won’t go to Pause or rec… If nobody else can find another solution, for me, the ways are two: - Buy another HDD to use to rec events (and old HDD as “archive”) - Format HDD and try to use it again. (Warning!!! Formatting HDD with problems, it’s possible, to delete all contents and not be able to use HDD ever after!!!) If you think to format this HDD, for me, the best way is to: - first “Deregister USB HDD device on TV” (KDL-32EX653 Users iManual - Rec) - disconnect HDD. Turn off and then on TV. Connect HDD on USB (HDD REC) - Register HDD on TV again (see link above) and see if all free space turns back again If space remains at about 0GB you have to: - Deregister HDD one more time and format HDD on PC, if it’s possible. If nothing happens, use chkdisk (Windows Check Disk) or other software in order to format HDD.
Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

I’m sorry “mcgillalan”. It’s not possible to me, edit my posts, insert links, screenshots or anything else. In my previews post, I have insert some links but they all disappeared!!! Even, I can’t reedit them!!! I don’t know if it my fault, but since yesterday I was able to edit posts.
Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi Jan2011, I have asked the team to have a look at your permission settings. strange :S Cheers, Nico
Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
mcgillalan
Explorer

Hi, thanks for the reply and sorry for my delayed reply but it's taken this long to free up another HDD to try. I registered this and it works fine (better than ever - no false messages about HDD being almost full - confirming the last update did do something to the HDD recording firmware) but it is a full size drive with power supply and I'd rather use my old laptop size drive that gets power from the TV. Also, I'd like to keep some of the recordings I already have.

1 - is there any way of copying files from one drive to another? Both drives don't even show up when plugged into my XP laptop. I would like to try and reformat the original drive but there are shows I haven't even watched yet still on it.

2 - would there be any reason Sony have dropped support for laptop size drives or is it a speed thing? Is there a new minimum spec so I can buy a new drive especially for the TV?

Mr_Onion

Something that should work is making a Linux Puppy Bootable disc

I know the instructions are on a Malware site, but theres no reason why it shouldn't work for you as long as you have enough ports to plug everything in.

The files saved will of course be in the format the HDD uses, so will have to be loaded back in to the HDD player to view. Maybe via DVD? You will have to experiment.

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

I think the recommendable HDD is an external powered one, probably due to performance. I have not seen any detailed requirements specs for Bravia TV's though.

To save your TV shows a hdd raw copy tool might help, - maybe even fix bad sectors if that's your problem. Haven't tried this myselves, but this one sounds promising: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

To do file handling on the HDD you need a Linux OS like Ubuntu, and making a boot CD is a good idea. Any file handling are probably in vane though, since several partitions and some database structure seems to be used by the Sony Bravia tv. Please share your success if any.

To "un-Bravia" your HDD use this (tedious) cook book:
http://kb.sony-europe.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?St=251,E=0000000000098449016,Key=677,SXI=1,Case=ob...

mcgillalan
Explorer

OK... I cloned the old 2.5" drive and put it on the 3.5" drive that had been working. When I plugged that in, it was as if it was the old drive ie I could still play everything on there but no recording or TV pause (it was still saying it was full even though it's 90gb bigger than the other one).

I then de-bravia'd the old drive and then plugged it back into the TV and registered it again. Now it will record and TV pause etc but it is back to how it was (giving warnings the drive is almost full even though it's now empty).

I take it there is actually no way to get the programs already recorded onto a HDD I can actually keep using to record? I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't some kind of DRM thing (with the oldest recordings being a year old).

Incidentally, Sony now recommend their own external 2.5" drive but it's £60+ for a 500GB which is about £20 more than the going rate and far too big... especially if you have to delete everything once a year!

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

Did you format as FAT32 ?

After de-Bravia did you try to write some large files onto the HDD, say fill it >30% ?

Basically your are back to "normal" with your new drive and I guess you can just ignore the stupid message like before.

To re-use the old drive I'll still recommend to try out the raw tool with the repair option (after creating a back-up image ofc).

Yes, all this trouble due to some kind of DRM.

Btw I have years of old takings on my WD HDD without problems.