Join now - be part of our community!

USB HDD Recording

profile.country.GB.title
tc9896
Explorer

USB HDD Recording

I have a KDL-32W65xA TV and have been using a Toshiba 1TB HDD for USB HDD recording, it has been working fine for a couple of months now when I try to play sommething it freezes and the TV restarts. Is there a limit on the size of the USB HDD thats compatible and if so where is this stated? It's not a problem with the HDD as it's the second one it's happened to.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

According to the manual : HERE - I cannot see a maximum HDD size, however TV's in previous years had the size of the HDD between 32GB and 2TB.  I am very confident that your 1TB HDD is supported (size wise).

However, your symptoms appear to be consistent with the max file limit of 1000.

In the manual it states:

"Recording cannot be performed in the following cases:

• - The TV cannot recognise the registered USB HDD device.
  • - More than 1,000 programmes are recorded on the USB HDD device.
  • - The USB HDD device is full."

I have a Sony PVR Recorder (HDT-500B) and when I had more than 1000 files to it, the recorder rebooted itself when trying to play (or indexed), until i removed files to get under that limit (I had a 2TB+500MB HDD by the way).

I honestly cannot see how it would be possible to get 1000 recordings on a 1TB HDD, unless you have recorded lots of small shows that are like 5-10 minutes in length, which would be consistent with CBBC etc.

If that is not the issue - well its back to the drawing board.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
tc9896
Explorer

How many files are created for each recording? I tried connecting the HDD to my laptop to check the number of files but whilst it recognises it, it can't open the HDD. There are about 50 recordings on the HDD but I can't delete any as when I try I get a message to say that the file cannot be accessed. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You cant actually view your recordings on a laptop/PC.

To be honest, im not exactly sure whats going on - hopefully another forum member may be able to assist, but if not, I would advise you contact Sony either via email or phone : HERE

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@tc9896 wrote:
when I try to play sommething it freezes and the TV restarts.

@tc9896 wrote:

There are about 50 recordings on the HDD but I can't delete any as when I try I get a message to say that the file cannot be accessed.

Hi guys,

From the comments above, could it be that the HDD has become corrupt & therefore not recognised correctly.?

Have you tried de-registering & re-registering the HDD.?

profile.country.GB.title
tc9896
Explorer

It's the second HDD that it's happened to, so I think it's unlikely that it's corrupted, I can still see all of the recordings under the title list and they start to play but then the TV restarts. As Sony only allows me to register 8 HDDs I don't want to waste another life. I've emailed Sony Support.