Join now - be part of our community!

Video Conversion - What codec to create AVI/MPEG?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bernie-the-Bolt

Video Conversion - What codec to create AVI/MPEG?

Hi

I have both a BDP-S370 blu-ray and a KDL-37EX503. I wish to convert an MKV file to either AVI or MPEG/MPG to play back on the TV. I can get a poor quality picture with xvid/divx but cannot find a codec for a best quality video which can play back on the TV. All trials are fine for PC playback but I get an error message on the TV. Sound quality is no problem in any format (if it plays!).

It's getting rather annoying! All replies appreciated.

ps I am using various software packages so it's not the software.

Sorry, scrub that! I've just found Catmambo's assistance elsewhere https://www.sony-europe.com/discussions/thread/115568

As he recommends mkv2vob is free, fast and tops! I wasted hours and downloaded allsorts to get the same result which take forever. For all else I use Pazera video converters. Also free and excellent. Ripping FLV can get so tiresome to convert though.

Edd, as a thought if you see this could you and your colleagues produce a Sony Guide to.... It'd be most useful. Maybe forum we could do it?!

Message was edited by: Bernie-the-Bolt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

:slight_smile: Indeed mkv2vob is the daddy!

Guide is a good idea - I think the ability to add sticky's to the forum is coming pretty soon so then we can publish something. Right now, there is not much point as it will just get buried amongst everything else.

It would be great if it could be collaberatively edited by the forum based around people's experinces with 3rd party software.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
annettecooling
New

If you stream your media from the pc using serviio then you can play mkv files without having to convert them.

As for converting to mpeg, i'd be interested to know aswell. I've only used handbrake to convert so far, but like you seem to get lousy quality.

Catmambo
Contributor

:slight_smile: Indeed mkv2vob is the daddy!

Guide is a good idea - I think the ability to add sticky's to the forum is coming pretty soon so then we can publish something. Right now, there is not much point as it will just get buried amongst everything else.

It would be great if it could be collaberatively edited by the forum based around people's experinces with 3rd party software.

BlueSmoke1000
Visitor

I've posted on this thread http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/638676#638676 about making mpeg files compatible with Sony Bravia.

It would appear that it'll work with .MKV files as well.

I've not got any .MKV files to try it with, but since they're a variant on .TS (as I understand it), I think it should work.

Give it a go, and see if it works - since it's remuxing, rather than re-encoding, you should find you don't lose any quality at all.

Hope this helps.

Bernie-the-Bolt

Wow, Thanks for all the input guys!

With my 37EX53 I haven't yet got serviio to work satisfactorily. Could someone kindly guide me through it? I've got Wild Media Server working successfully (am trialling a few at the moment) but would be happier if I could get a free one to work!

All assistance gratefully recieved!

Bernie