Join now - be part of our community!

Vivid Display Mode

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
donbradbury
Explorer

Vivid Display Mode

KDL-32CX523. I engage the Vivid display mode when picture quality matters during the prolonged warm-up the set requires. I read somewhere that this can shorten the life of the display elements. Is this true?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bravia55HX

100,000 hours is considered the lifespan of either plasma or lcd tv's, but having contrast and brightness on 100% will reduce this, since vivid is set at factory with all levels to 100% this has to be backed off by the user.

vivid setting in my opinion is a no as its not natural.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KDL-CX520
Visitor

I had discussed the same point in my 2nd or 3rd post here and got a silent feedback :slight_smile:

it is not the vivid display mode which will shorten the life of display element ( cold-cathode fluorescent lamp = CCFL)

it is depend mainly on how do you increase the BACKLIGHT setting (in any mode), as much you make it toward the maximum this will increase the pulse voltage supplied from inverter unit to CCFL(s) , by time the CCFL will reduced its luminous intensity affecting the whole LCD panel contrast and colors outputs

In addition, SHOP MODE will strongly reduce the lifespan of CCFLs compared to using the HOME MODE

The future will be toward LED or OLED TVs

Hope this helpful

Bravia55HX

100,000 hours is considered the lifespan of either plasma or lcd tv's, but having contrast and brightness on 100% will reduce this, since vivid is set at factory with all levels to 100% this has to be backed off by the user.

vivid setting in my opinion is a no as its not natural.

KDL-CX520
Visitor

100,000 hours for the new sets or 60,000 hrs for older one are the lifespan to get the half brightness of CCFL...in my opinion this over estimated hours by all manufacturers because at 70% of CCFL luminance you will not accept the picture quality...try this in your new set next month after you get the replacement unit (BraviaHX)

There is a point for discussion about contrast adjustment, contrast adjustment control the pixels transistors voltage and does not have any estimated lifespan announced by any manfacturer (some says 100K+ below 150F degree) so i don't care much about contrast adjustment.

I remember that CCFL lifespan curve show 10% sharp drop of its brightness on the first 1500hrs usage, after that it becomes almost stable until its 50% of lifespan time ( i forgot where is the link for that)

I wonder what will be the comparison result if somebody compare out of box new TV with another older display unit in showroom ? I expect there will be some difference in picture quality because the backlight life decreasing.

Final words, nobody care much how long the TV will last, because after this long lifspan we should have the next revolution is display technology (4320p or OLED tv :smileycool:)

Bravia55HX

KDLCX520

you need to back off a bit mate!, i am only quoting facts here and who cares how long they last, they last longer than most people keep sets for anyway.

i dont know when my new set arrives, and you sure as hell dont know either.

gofrost

vivid mode is for shop display only that's why there cheap when sold anyway who's going to keep panel for 11.5 years with pace of technology same with any panel