Join now - be part of our community!

W65x missing resolution 1440x1080 ?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

W65x missing resolution 1440x1080 ?

Any idea why the W65x doesn't seem to expose 1440x1080 as an available resolution?

The closest listed are 1400x1050 and 1440x900.

I would try forcing a resolution from the graphics card, but I'm on an Intel 4000 that for some reason doesn't want to cooperate.

(1400x1050 looks a bit like a mistake, since why would anyone want this odd resolution? 1680x1050 is the standard 16:9 res below 1920x1080, hence the x1050 height. And the largest classic 4:3 resolution that fits in a 1080p display is 1280x960.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hcr_hassen

Thanks Quinnicus.

I've figured it out. I used EnTech's MonInfo to check what modes the TV reports as available. The only square-pixel 4:3 mode was 640x480, suggesting the other 4:3 modes were offered by the Intel 4000 driver rather than the TV. While trying to figure out why it won't let me add 1440x1080 as a custom resolution, when similar and higher resolutions are available, I noticed that the specific setting window defaulted to the notebook's internal display instead of the TV, even though the internal display was disabled. Once I selected the TV I could add 1440x1080.

So it's just a case of bad GUI. Typical in all graphics drivers, though in Intel's case worse since they switched their GUI to Metro style: big buttons, lots of empty space, low density display of information, and hidden dropdowns. Progress, isn't it? :slight_smile:

Now I just have to see if the resolution timing mode, or any of the "advanced" settings, matter.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately I dont have the answer, and I doubt this forum could provide the answer either.  Your best be is to contact Sony Support for this one.  However, I would expect the answer to be something in the lines of.. that, that resolution is not as common and no real call for it.

I also have an Intel HD4000 graphics card in mine (max res for me = 1366 x 768) - however when I plug in a HDMI cable, I can get many resolutions such as 1920x1080 (which I use), but that could be due to the fact that I have a secondary graphics card in my laptop too (Nvidia Geforce GT 650M) :grin:

I think the 1680x1050 is a popular resolution for many.

Cheers

hcr_hassen

Thanks Quinnicus.

I've figured it out. I used EnTech's MonInfo to check what modes the TV reports as available. The only square-pixel 4:3 mode was 640x480, suggesting the other 4:3 modes were offered by the Intel 4000 driver rather than the TV. While trying to figure out why it won't let me add 1440x1080 as a custom resolution, when similar and higher resolutions are available, I noticed that the specific setting window defaulted to the notebook's internal display instead of the TV, even though the internal display was disabled. Once I selected the TV I could add 1440x1080.

So it's just a case of bad GUI. Typical in all graphics drivers, though in Intel's case worse since they switched their GUI to Metro style: big buttons, lots of empty space, low density display of information, and hidden dropdowns. Progress, isn't it? :slight_smile:

Now I just have to see if the resolution timing mode, or any of the "advanced" settings, matter.