Join now - be part of our community!

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

Hi everyone, just wondering what Sony will be doing for it's UK Customers who own earlier versions of the X9005A, including myself with the HDMI 4 port seperate on the back, rather than together in later versions. From what I've read on the web, the later versions of this TV with the HDMI 4 port upgraded support HDCP 2.2, whereas the earlier versions of this TV don't. This upgrade will become necessary once the FMP - X5 Media Player is launched.

US Customers who own earlier versions of this TV are being looked after by Sony as they are being offered a free in house upgrade.

However with regards to UK Customers, Sony UK have said nothing. Some poeple have tried to find out what Sony UK will be doing with regards to this, but apparently have been ignored. This is not good enough imho.

Please could Sony UK let us customers know what they are going to do with regards to this asap.

Thanks  

80 REPLIES 80
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi, just spoken to Derek and Pacifica Group. Derek was very helpful and understood my concerns. Derek said that he will get into Sony UK saying letting them know that this is not acceptable and to basically get the part here. I explained to Derek that US Customers affected by this issue have already had the upgrade. Why are we in the UK being given a possible availability date of January 2015 ? At the moment there are no lead times available for this part and on their system there is no delivery date showing and it just says to be advised. Why should us X9005A customers settle for an inferior set. I'll say it again, picture and sound wise the X9005A is in a different league to the X9005B. This is obviously my opinion. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sound10

Wow - Jan/Feb 2015.  Umm I would also find that un-acceptable too, considering that this is an issue that was kinda foreseen too.  Good luck on your quest and keep us posted on how you get on.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Will do Quinnicus :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi Quinnicus, I'm also concerned as to whether the exchange TV's will be brand new or refurbs. Also, what will happen with our 5 Year Warranties. I think a better offer from Sony UK would have been that in the meantime, if you want an exchange, then go to a retailer of your choice, choose the set including warranty/ freebies eg soundbar and then Sony will credit the retailer and the original set can be collected by them as soon as the new one is delivered.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sound10

Im trying to find out some information for you guys, dont worry, Im onto it - but takes time.  And whether im prilvedged to it (or can share it) is another matter.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Thanks Quinnicus. Your help is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Part is available from Sony here and in stock :- https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-part-number-A1952947A.aspx

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi guys, apologies for the late reply. Okay here goes. With regards to the person that I spoke to within Pacifa Group, all I can say is that it was a lady who works in Sony Exchanges. Their telephone is either 0191 387 0774 or 0843 1780266. Thanks to lord187x for posting these numbers earlier in this thread.
With regards to the X9005A vs X9005B, I had the chance to compare side by side a 65" X9005A with a 65" X9005B playing the same material which was the 4K Demo material supplied by Sony. Picture and sound presets were set at default on both TV's. My observations were as follows.
1. The picture on the 65X9005B seemed to be showing a bit more grain and did not seem as smooth as the 65X9005A. Therefore not that much of a difference. However if you are fussy like me, then that can be a big deal.
2. Sound - This was the most important thing to me as I know Sony have changed the material that they use to manufacture the magnetic fluid speakers on the X9005B. What I observed myself is that whilst the X9005B sounded very good, I could hear more detail through the X9005A' s speakers. Music sounded better to my ears on the X9005A rather than the X9005B. Does that make the Sony X9005B a bad TV. Not really. Maybe I was a bit harsh when I said earlier it was inferior to the X9005A. I now don't think that this is the case, however what I do still think is that Sony have cut costs somewhere on the X9005B. That is my own personal opinion on this which will not change.
Having compared both TV's side by side, I know for a fact that for me, I would not be able to live with the X9005B. Other than the picture and sound, I prefer the design and the aesthetics of the X9005A over the X9005B and that is another reason why I want to keep mine and wait for the part to arrive. Even if that means waiting till January 2015.
For anyone who decides to upgrade to the X9005B, I wish you the best of luck and hope you get a good set with no clouding, banding, or backlight bleed. As we all bought the first batch of this TV model, some of us may have paid up to 6K for the 65" and 4K for the 55". For that kind of money, I would expect Sony and the Pacifica Group to do the following :-
1. To offer a brand new set and when it's delivered and installed, allow you to check that you are happy with the set. If not, it should be exchanged without any hassle or questions and you should be able to hold onto your X9005A if that is the case.
2. Guarantee should be transferable, which I'm pretty sure it is.
3. If requested and required, the service centre that set up and install the new TV should allow you to make a comparison of the X9005B vs the X9005A in your home, to make sure that the X9005B is the right choice for you.  It's the least Sony UK can do.
Finally, for us customers who have decided to keep our TV's please get this part asap here in the UK. The X9005A is marketed as a 4K TV and therefore needs to be compatible with 4K content.
Enough of my ramblings and once again good luck to you upgraders. Please let us know how things go :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Unfortunately there has been a major miss-communication in regards to the HDCP 2.2 upgrades and TV replacements.

This is the correct information on what I have been told:

Identification:
----------------
- The FMP-X5 will not be available until September.
- Any upgrades to HDCP 2.2 will be identified as per normal process

HDCP 2.2 Upgrades
------------------
- Pacifica Group will come out on site from September onwards for the upgrade to HDCP 2.2
- They will bring a FMP-X5 to test
- The Parts will NOT be in-stock until September.

Parts Confusion:
---------------------
According to Sony : If indeed they look at Part-Stock today, they will see ETA - To Be Advised. This is normal. But... NO STOCK means - ETA is next year. Those parts should be available by then (meaning September time).

So simply, this is an incorrect interpretation of the system (or system design error)

Replacement TV Confusion:
-----------------------------
Question : Pacifica Group UK have offered customers the X9005B TV as a replacement - will this still go ahead?

Answer : They should not have. Replacements are offered when in-warranty panel repairs are required. So if they did offer, they made an error (so if they need to comply to keep their word, I'm afraid they'll need to cover costs too. However, that will be case by case, they will try to explain what went wrong).

I hope this clears things up.
Thanks all.

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi everyone, was due to have the upgrade today, however received a call from the service centre saying that they are unable to do it today as they are unable to access Sony UK's technical site. Fair enought I thought. I then asked them if they have been supplied with the FMP-X5 to test whether or not the upgrade works as per the post by Quinnicus and I've told they have not been supplied with anything. If Sony are offering the HDMI upgrdes to customers, then I definitely want it testing to make sure it works before the engineer leaves ! What is going on at Sony UK ?