Join now - be part of our community!

10 GB 'dropped off' HD !

GeeCee
Visitor

10 GB 'dropped off' HD !

Hi there, I hope some one here can help, I have done a search in these forums but could'nt find simaler problems.

I own a VGN-A417M, it came with an 80 GB hard drive partitioned into 2 x 40 gig drives, c: and d:

I got a warning the other day saying my c: drive was full! Under the drive properties I got this info...

C:/

Used Space = 29,511,274,496 bytes or 27.4GB
Free Space = 494,542,848 bytes or 471MB

Capacity 30,005,817,344 bytes or 27.9GB

(the blue pie chart is ALL blue!)

-------------------------------------------

D:/

Used Space = 36,844,208,128 bytes or 34.3GB
Free Space = 5,672,230,912 bytes 0r 39.5GB

Capacity 42,516,439,040 bytes or 39.5GB

(the blue pie chart has a decent pink slice)

That's a whopping 10 gig of space missing from the C part !

Can anyone please help with this thanks,

Gee

9 REPLIES 9
GeeCee
Visitor

oops, I meant to type the free space for the d: drive was was 5.28 GB not 39.5GB :smileyblush:

The restis correct, I think, :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for any help, any at all,

Gee

William
Visitor

Hi,

Hard Disk sizes are always quoted in unformatted size. Unfortunately formatting of the drive has the effect of reducing the size.

From your figures:

C = 27.9Gb
D = 39.5Gb
Total = 67.4Gb

Which leaves 12.6Gb unaccounted for :slight_frown:

7.5Gb is a hidden partition containing your recovery files and the remaining 5.1Gb can be explained by formatting.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi there, I hope some one here can help, I have done a search in these forums but could'nt find simaler problems.

I got a warning the other day saying my c: drive was full! Under the drive properties I got this info...

C:/

Used Space = 29,511,274,496 bytes or 27.4GB
Free Space = 494,542,848 bytes or 471MB

Capacity 30,005,817,344 bytes or 27.9GB

(the blue pie chart is ALL blue!)

-------------------------------------------

Hi Gee,

Welcome to the forum,:smileyhappy:

You can if you want to free up some space on your C drive simply move files such as images, music files etc from the C drive to the D drive.
Also if you wish move the my documents folder to the D drive to do this right click on my documents, and change the target drive from C to D, then click move.

GeeCee
Visitor

Thanks William and Thalamus for your help and such a quick respose as well :slight_smile:

I'm a bit annoyed at Sony putting 7.5 gig of 'recovery files' on MY hard drive. That's a cheap trick, why don't they just put them on a couple of DVD's ?

Also I do understand a little about formating drives. But loosing over 5 gig !

Oh well 😞 I am diisaponted.

JonnyBoy
Visitor

Hey there mate!

Welcome to the forum!

since you are so bummed about "losing" your 7 gigas i thought i'd give you a solution to get em back :slight_smile:

if you want to free up some space on your c drive you could erase the recovery partition, and earn some 7 gigs.

now before you do anything you have to be sure you're up to this task as it may be tricky if you're new to computers.

IMPORTANT: before you erase the hidden partition you have to burn your recovery discs.
do not forget to do this because if you dont have either the partition or the discs it'll be impossible to recover your system when in time, something goes wrong.

now the easiest way to erase the hidden recovery partition would be via a programme called PartitionMagic. it lets you see all partitions (even hidden) and modify them.

So after burning your recovery discs you can use this software to erase the hidden partition, merge it with C and have 7 extra gigas on it. Nothing else would be changed.

it's a fairly easy process and should be no problem for you.

heresjono
Visitor

Heyya Gee Cee,

If I could just just add to JohnnyBoy's perfectly viable solution, I would recommend making several/multiple sets of the recovery media. IMHO-Preferably 3+ sets of to be safe ( DVDs not cds being as U will only have to use 3 x 2 DVD+R as opposed to wopping 3 x 9 CD Rs)

May seem like overkill, but i have heard of, & experienced, failure of recovery media. For the sake of a few DVD+Rs, costing less than a tenner for a 10pack, it should be considered VITAL if you do follow the plan, as Johnny says, once deleted theres no going back. In fact, I wouldbuy a 10 pack for the occasion i would prob. use all 10 making a very safe 5 x sets of recovery media as I personally have 2 sets made, with the partiton still intact on my HD also. If you weigh the cost against buying a recovery set from Sony its def. well worth it. :smileyhappy::smileygood_luck:

JonnyBoy
Visitor

well said Jono! well said!

the man is totally right! listen to him and definitely burn multiple copies!!!

you wouldnt believe how much sony is charging for them....

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

£55 if you don't know

GeeCee
Visitor

I am thinking of getting rid of that partition now, great suggestions.

Again, thank you all for your help,

GC