Join now - be part of our community!

2 months old and SOny Laptop Breaks

NagaSurayami
Visitor

2 months old and SOny Laptop Breaks

Im having a huge dilema.

Im in the Royal Navy and can't take my laptop to the store which i purchased it.

The laptop works fine until windows XP kicks in then the screen brightness goes so low the only way to view it is to shine a light source such as a torch onto the screen.

Its been like this for 2 days now and i dont understand why its started doing it as the laptop is only 2 months old.

The laptop itself is fine its simply when XP kicks in.

I have tried all the settings i know such as battery, screen saver, screen resolution, driver settings but none of this has helped i even reset the laptop to factory settings and its still faulty.

If anyone can help me please do...

21 REPLIES 21
NagaSurayami
Visitor

Specs : --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specifications for PCG-K315B
Processor Intel Celeron D processor 340
Network RealTek RTL8100CL - 10Base-T/100Base-TX
Cache 256 KB (on die)
Memory 512 MB
(Upgradeable to 1024 MB)
Hard Disk Drive 40 GB (IDE)
(5.6 GB reserved - recovery space)

Video Chipset ATI Radeon IGP 345M
Video Memory Up to 128 MB
Display 15.4" TFT WXGA 1280x800 (Ultra Bright)
Sound Chip Realtek ALC203 ¿ 16-bit CD-quality stereo sound ¿ 3D Surround ¿ AC 97 Rev. 2.3
Optical CD-ROM : 24 x Speed
CD-R : 16 x Speed
CD-RW : 8 x Speed
DVD-ROM : 8 x Speed
DVD +R : 4 x Speed
DVD +RW 2 x Speed
DVD -R : 4 x Speed
DVD -RW : 2 x Speed

Ports on Unit 1 PC Card Slot(s) ¿ 4 pins i.Link Port ¿ MemoryStick Pro Slot ¿ 3 USB Port(s) ¿
Ports on Unit Audio/Video Out ¿ Headphones Out ¿ Microphone In ¿ Ethernet Port ¿ Parallel Port ¿ VGA Monitor Out ¿
PC Card Slots 1 PCMCIA type I or 1 PCMCIA type II Cards and Cardbus support
Modem Built-in Modem V.92
Keyboard 87 Keys ¿ Hotkeys
Mouse Touchpad
Weight 3700g
Supplied Accessories AC adapter (PCGA-AC19V9)
Battery (PCGA-BP2NY)
Power Cable ¿ Documentation

Optional Accessories AC Adapters
Bags and Slipcovers
Batteries
Drives
Keyboards
Memory
Software and Services
USB Accessories
Wireless
Others
See Detailed Info

Dimensions (W x H x D) 357mm x 41 to 55mm x 277.5 mm
Operating System Windows XP Home with SP2

Software Adobe Acrobat Reader ¿ Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Ed. ¿ Adobe Photoshop Elements ¿ Adobe Premiere Standard ¿ Click to DVD ¿ DVGate Plus ¿ Hotkey utility ¿ Memory Stick Formatter ¿ Microsoft Works ¿ Norton Internet Security ¿ Norton Password Manager ¿ PictureGear Studio ¿ Record Now! ¿ SonicStage ¿ Sonicstage Mastering Studio ¿ Sony Notebook Setup ¿ VAIO Edit Components ¿ VAIO Media ¿ VAIO Power Management ¿ VAIO Update ¿ VAIO Zone ¿ WinDVD for VAIO ¿ Wireless Switch Setting Utility
Warranty 1 Year
2 years for Germany *

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Can you not leave it with someone in the RN and get VAIO Link to pick it up?

NagaSurayami
Visitor

I wasnt aware VAIO would pick it up...

I didnt realise it was a big problem i thought it had an easy fix...

Even if i could i dont know how to leave it for vaio link to pickup... I would phone them but i dont have a mobile phone and im not home until next year...

Ohh well i will just take it back to the shop when i get home and buy an alienware laptop, hopefully they will be more reliable.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Speak to your commanding officer, hopefully he's not the type to start yelling (or have I been watching too many movies)

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Speak to your commanding officer, hopefully he's not the type to start yelling (or have I been watching too many movies)

LOL:smileylaugh: Probably too many movies Kee-Lo!!

My boss is ex RN. Well, Fleet Air Arm. Likes to shout a bit. I just put it down to him going a bit deaf from flying too many noisy helicopters :laughing:

Akanksha
Visitor

yep, movies! thats what it is!
:laughing:

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

LOL:smileylaugh:

Do they still have those tubes that you whistle down then shout "ENGINE ROOM!! MORE SPEED!!! FULL STEAM AHEAD!! that sort of thing

NagaSurayami
Visitor

So none of you can help ?

Im trying to fix this without phoning sony and being charged a fortune per minute to get it fixed. Is there not an online help service such as mIRC available to sony vaio customers ?

Surely there must be some help out there other than that of a telephone...

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

It soundslike it may be a hardware problem which is probably why no one has been forthcoming with any suggestions.

Have you had a look to see if there are any driver updates or patches etc in Vaio-Link?