Join now - be part of our community!

3 beeps at start up

Lateagain
Visitor

3 beeps at start up

Hello im new here.

I had an old Toshiba laptop, got this vaio from my ins co when the Toshi went pop. Vaio model VGN-FE48E. However when I start the laptop by pushing the start button I get 3 beeps.

Last time I had this I phoned warranty help line and was told to disconnect the battery, hold down the start button for 30 seconds, reconnect the battery and start again and hey presto. that worked once or twice but now nothing and I mean nothing.

Press the start button three beeps every time. Anyone know why it does this, what does it mean and can I get it to start.

Please I am not IT literate. But sony want to take it away on Monday, and I need to back up my files in case sony lose it. OR better I would like my laptop to work so they dont have to take it away.

All advice is appreciated ASAP

Ian

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum.

Beep codes vary between different versions of BIOS but assuming that your model uses the AMI BIOS then three beeps would seem to indicate a base 64K RAM failure.

This link may help you narrow down the problem.

Computer POST / beep codes

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Lateagain
Visitor

Thanks for that

Unsure which BIOS I am using but it would appear that 1 long and 2 short beeps may indicate a video/screen issue from the link you provided.

Thanks again

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You’re welcome Ian.

Unfortunately whether it is a base 64K RAM failure or a Video/Screen issue it will almost certainly need to be picked up and rectified by Sony.

Be aware that there is a possibility that they will restore the system to “as delivered” thus wiping all data on the C drive. I suggest that you check this out with support, but in any event I suggest that you backup any important data before departing with your notebook.

The hard drive is located in a compartment on the underside of the notebook and removal is simple – if you need further guidance then let us know.

Once removed the drive can be housed in a USB caddy (cost approx. £15 to £20 and then attached to and accessed from another computer.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Lateagain
Visitor

Thanks again for your reply.

Unfortunately the laptop has already been taken back to Sony. Apart from saving some photos which is the most imnportant thing I think anything else will/has been lost. I am waiting to hear from Sony as to the problem and result.

Being unable to start the laptop I took it to PC World. Now I realise the importance of back-up on a more regular basis, and thanks to your comments, the need to buy a USB drive to save data on.

What I have always found is that what I would like is training courses on this kind of stuff. I dont wnat courses on how to use word, excel etc I need training on looking after the laptop, and keeping things in tip top nick.

Thanks for the offer for assistance as that would have been really useful but I have been accessing the site from work.

maybe I need to buy a spare laptop dirt cheap just in case, now that they all come with Vista. Tesco hear I come.

Lateagain
Visitor

For the record.

I got the laptop back today, thats quick, it was only taken on tuesday when DHL/Sony messed up collecting it on Monday.

Result. The three beeps 1 long two short, was the bleep code for the system board. According to the slip of paper this has been replaced.

So questions are
1. what would cause the system board to go?
2. What else would they have done when replacing the system, board, ie reset the laptop?

One more for the expert,:-) I might even find out what BIOS I got so this snippet of info can be added to the database.

Thanks again

Ian

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Ian,

Impressive service from Support there!!

Unfortunately the term “system board” can cover a wide variety of both definitions and problems. By System board I assume that they are referring to the motherboard, but which part?

Certainly the 64K base RAM is, by definition, part of the “System Board” as is the video/screen controller. Maybe determining the machine BIOS will, as you say, will provide more insight.

1. what would cause the system board to go?

Difficult to say, but possibly a fault in manufacture.
2. What else would they have done when replacing the system, board, ie reset the laptop?

Assuming that all your personal data and third party programs are still there then hopefully they will have done nothing more than replace the motherboard.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
littlebucko
Visitor

hello rich912 the reason why they changed your mainboard is because the graphics cpu is solderd onto the board
and also it it is easyer then taking parts away to find out it was a working part
doing computer boards ino how they work and it can be a time taking thing to do
in laptops it is quicker and safer to just change the board

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

hello rich912 the reason why they changed your mainboard is because the graphics cpu is solderd onto the board 

Please read the thread littlebucko it is Ian that has the problem not me!

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
littlebucko
Visitor

sorry rich912 it was the way my screen was only half was showing sorry for any upset