Join now - be part of our community!

3rd Party Driver for FX5600? Risky

megamouse
Visitor

3rd Party Driver for FX5600? Risky

Just browse though a post regarding to some "game play" problems, which are described as: the screen goes black when start to run some games in WinXP, such as HomeWorld 2. the same problem happens on my GRT786M.

It's seems that the Video Driver needs to be Updated. but since there is no update for the driver on the VAIO-Link, someone (I think it's Lee, not sure) suggests a OMEGA video driver can slove problem.

but as i've been told that, the Omega Driver is from some 3rd party source (not released by the Manufacturer itself).

so, has anyone tried the driver yet? is it safe to use a 3rd party Video Driver for GeForce FX5600?

Cheers.

4 REPLIES 4
megamouse
Visitor

so has anyone tried the OMEGA driver so fay??

BringerUK
Visitor

If you are referring to the Geforce Go5600 (thats the only GF chip nvidia uses in their laptops currently) then ive tried the Omega drivers on my GRT-916V and when windows boots up its a black screen - so no they dont work.

Its shoddy that the latest version of the nvidia drivers is rated at 56.72 and sony have released 46.03, really is shoddy and the performance takes a big hit.

Ive tried a few things, i tried to install the 56.73 drivers on my laptop and it worked performance wise in games etc better than sonys drivers however they caused some problems with power management and stuff. So i gave the new 61.11 *BETA* nvidia drivers a shot and they work a treat!!

Even though its beta, its nvidias new unified architecture driverset which includes support for all desktop and mobile chips! If you do a search for them you can download them freely and i suggest you do!

I can now run with no lag UT2004 with aniso and antial on which i couldnt do with sony's driverset.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

megamouse
Visitor

Cheers mate, i will give it a try and see how it goes.................your post is really helpful since no one else had answered my question for ages :thinking:

byron_hinson
Visitor

Cheers mate, i will give it a try and see how it goes.................your post is really helpful since no one else had answered my question for ages :thinking:

How did it go - I'm getting fed up with the out of date graphic drivers sony are providing and I'm thinking of going the same route.